Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Doors lock and light cut off as I drive....

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2010, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are entitled to a loaner vehicle, only if it is still under warranty and only if the repair takes more then 8 hours to complete.

I have some real horror stories of days that I spend in the lounge of GM garages.

I will put it to you like this - there is some good news and there is some bad news. The bad news is that they probably won't find the problem - because it is located inside of the wiring harness - which was probably made by Packard Electric - Delphi - Warren Ohio.

The good news is - if you paid for the repair one time, GM should cover it after that. Get the rental car and refuse to drive your car until the problem is solved.

My guess is - you will have a semi permanent rental car, until they get a old timer to rewire the door harness on every door on the vehicle and every wire in the vehicle until they find the problem.

A friend of mine has a 2000 Sierra pick up and it does the same thing.

He has been locked out of his vehicle several times - even when the keys were in the ignition. It's only a two door. I tried every trick in the book to bypass the system so the doors would not lock when you put it in gear or once you drive more then 15 mph - and could not get it to stop.
Old July 15th, 2010, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still having issues....

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
That depends on the situation. Like you said if it takes a few days for the dealership to perform the repair and the vehicle was brought in with enough time in the day to make a diagnosis or to get some semblance of work done on the vehicle then you should be able to get a loaner vehcile under your bumper to bumper or powertrain warranties, under normal circumstances. If you bring the vehicle in the last hour of the day for something that wouldn't take more than a couple of hours of work, that may not receive the loaner vehicle. I hope that answers that question.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks, I was just curious... they have had it three days and I'm catching a ride to work. I asked about a loaner on the second day and I was told by the service guy he didn't have one (even though there is an entire car lot full of cars) but I didn't make a big stink about it, but if it is not fixed today.. I will be going to the dealership manager as he knows the history of this truck and the problems I have had as he was involved in several other warranty service calls that took several trips back to them to solve it. Do I still need to contact the Main Customer Service about this?
Old July 15th, 2010, 2:52 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I have heard that before, if you get there early its a first come first serve for the loaners as they do only have a limited supply of loaner / demo models...
Old July 16th, 2010, 8:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What may have happened is that the dealership only keeps a certain amount or a select few vehicles for loaner vehicles. They could have required repairs or they could have all been out to other customers. At this point you should have a case setup for this issue so I would suggest you keep in contact with them and keep them updated with anything that is going on with the vehicle so that they can effectively work with the dealership on getting the vehicle fixed. That would be the best course of action for you.

Old July 16th, 2010, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

You need to call the zone office.

General Motors will RENT you a vehicle - if the dealer does not have one to lend to you.

Most of the loaner vehicles that the local Chevrolet Dealer has in my area are looser cruiser vehicles.

I drive 20 miles up the road and I get a brand new Enterprise Rent A Car vehicle every time.

Any repair that takes more then 8 hours to fix - you get a loaner car - rent a car - free of charge, as long as it is under warranty.
Old July 16th, 2010, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know where you are from, so I can't direct you - directly to the nearest Zone Office.

But if you have a problem with them - you can call Tom Sharpnack - at Sharpnack Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac
Williard OH
419 935 0194

Explain your problem to him, he is on the board for the zone office in the Ohio area.
Maybe he could direct you to who you need to speak to.

toll free - 1 800 252 3343

When it is fixed, please come back and tell us what they told you was wrong and what they did to fix it.
Old July 16th, 2010, 8:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
What may have happened is that the dealership only keeps a certain amount or a select few vehicles for loaner vehicles. They could have required repairs or they could have all been out to other customers. At this point you should have a case setup for this issue so I would suggest you keep in contact with them and keep them updated with anything that is going on with the vehicle so that they can effectively work with the dealership on getting the vehicle fixed. That would be the best course of action for you.

So Jeff what is your professional opinion on going to the dealer for repairs
should you always go to the same dealership or is it okay to go to a different one and will all your maintenance records be available (assuming they are all GM shops of course)
This is more so for folks that feel that a particular dealer is not giving them the best service / advice / repairs..... particularly related to warranty repairs...
Old July 17th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
So Jeff what is your professional opinion on going to the dealer for repairs
should you always go to the same dealership or is it okay to go to a different one and will all your maintenance records be available (assuming they are all GM shops of course)
This is more so for folks that feel that a particular dealer is not giving them the best service / advice / repairs..... particularly related to warranty repairs...
Yes, I would like to know this as well. I seriously doubt I will be taking my Tahoe back to this dealer, and would like to know if I can seek the assistance of another dealer for warranty work.

ON a positive note.... five days and three separate trips back to the dealer in Atmore, AL later and it was the BCM as most people figured. So far, given a day driving it, it hasn't done it.

Last edited by bossman696; July 18th, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear she is running right now...did they put a cost estimate on the invoice?
Old July 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Glad to hear she is running right now...did they put a cost estimate on the invoice?
I didn't see one, be as he was trying to explain why it took so long and what the issues were he said they couldn't just fix it without permission from Chevy for warranty payment I guess and he said the BCM was nearly $1000 alone and they would have to eat the cost if it didn't check out as defective.... blah, blah, blah...

I can understand this, but he also mentioned Chevy barely covers the labor cost on warranty work, which make me think warranty work on a $34,000+ vehicle takes a back seat to anything else a dealer may be working on.... I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I have a REAL problem with this because I'm paying for a brand new vehicle and I think it is normal to expect it to work.

Other than the issues with the dealer giving me the run around, so to speak, I have been pretty satisfied with my first Chevy purchase..... I'm still on the fence about buying another... even though I have a Chrysler 300 as well bought the same year.

Quick Reply: Doors lock and light cut off as I drive....