Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Driving in 4 Low

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2015, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in 4 Low

I had to create an account just to post this. I have recently purchased a 2016 Z71 Colorado. It has less than 400 miles on it. I baby it and take excellent care of it.

I brought it in to the dealer today because there was something wrong with the clear coat. They fixed it and everything was great. My problem lies with what the dealer did and did not tell me.

They pulled up in my truck and I hopped in and proceeded to drive home. The drive home is 7 miles with speeds up to 50. Now I never have had a reason to nor have I put my car in 4 Wheel Drive or 4 Low. FOR ANY REASON. As I was driving I felt the truck acting a little funny but didn't think anything of it. I never thought to check if it was in 4 Low...well because I would never put it in that. I also never would have thought the dealer would have done that for any reason, especially to bring it into their bay to fix my paint!!!

Needless to say I drove home, I am almost certain I never exceeded 45 mph, however I do not know what RPM I was at. Do you think I damaged my truck? If so I am going straight back to the dealer and causing a huge scene. I cannot believe they would put it in 4 Low and let alone not tell me!! I shouldn't have to do a pre-operational check on my truck after they mess with it. There is no reason that I can fathom why they would put it in 4 Low.

Again in short, do you think my truck or transfer case was damaged?
Old October 8th, 2015, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

As long as you didn't drive in circles all the way home...you will be fine.

Really, you drove 7 miles without noticing it was in 4 low? Most people would pick up on that before it got out of first gear...the shift profile is radically different.
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I did not know it was in 4 Low. There was a lot of traffic on the way home so it was hard for me to notice the RPMs. There were some points where I noticed the truck almost felt like it was struggling when I was getting up there in speed. But like I said I would never have put it in 4 Low to begin with so I had no reason...or at least I thought I had no reason to look.
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA, radically is an understatement !

I'm surprised you didn't need a neck brace, if you throttled it normally. That 1-2 shift can be dangerous with a heavy foot.

I don't think you hurt anything, given the newness of your ride. However, 45 mph is a bit fast for 4 lo. Most manuals will suggest 30 mph being your top speed, but, given my ride is older, I do 2000 rpm as my max.

I understand your lack of need for 4WD lo or hi, but given that you have that ability, there's an issue of, "use it or loose it".

You don't actually loose it if you don't use it, but, the transfer case and other actions for 4WD get very sluggish to transfer if they're not used with some regularity.

GM suggests, you transfer into 4WD-lo once a month, and drive it in 4 lo about a mile or so. I would recommend even more frequently, with about the same distance.

This feature can come in very handy, and as other equipment on your ride, it's important that you know it's working, and maintain the feature properly.

Last edited by SWHouston; October 8th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old October 8th, 2015, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks SWHouston,

I have read the manual a little bit, but I do not remember seeing anything to "use it or lose it" That is great information, I will be sure to switch between all drive modes a few times a month. I am sure I will be using it in the near future as I love riding through trails and offroading. I just wanted to wait a while before I got some nicks and scratches on my baby from the rocks and low hanging trees. I really hope my truck is okay after the incident that happened. It was only 7 miles on the way home and there was a lot of traffic. I only remember gettting up to speed for a very short time. The only thing that worries me is the shifting in and out of gears and high RPMs while I was in 4 Low. Thanks again for the reply buddy.
Old October 8th, 2015, 4:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, not mentioned. There are several little bits of info, which GM doesn't mention in their Manuals.

HA, YEA, we all know what you mean when you say "my baby". But you're right, it takes a few tick marks, before one can really use a Burb or Hoe freely.

I doubt very seriously that you've damaged anything, or, you would have known it right away. Don't worry about it, and just have fun.

If you intend to go OTR (off the road) some, you might think about selecting a qualified set of Tires for that, unless they're already on your ride.