Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Duramax vs Gas

Old November 21st, 2007, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duramax vs Gas

I`m thinking of buying a 2008Duramax 2500 Hdinspite of the fuel prices but compared to the 6.0 gas I was wondering what the cost of oil change and fuel cost would be for the diesel ? And also was wondering if the folks with 6.0 gas was satisfied and what kind of milage either one gets . I know there is no comparison on power but I only pull a horse trailer on the weekends maybe 20 miles and the rest of the week I just need a moped to get me there. And a couple trips pulling during the year maybe a 150 miles. Just looking at the economy end to see which one out weighs the other.
Old November 21st, 2007, 7:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Duramax vs Gas

It doesn't sound like your going to drive the truck much, so in my opinion you'd be better off with the gas job. However, desiel engines have a lot more torque and are more suited for towing. Around here, deisel costs more than gas. Typically you'll get more mpg from a gallon of deisel than gas. But does it out weigh the difference between the price of deisel vs the price of gasoline? I don't know. You'd have to crunch the numbers yourself. But it seems like the price of both deisel and gas change so often, it's really hard to tell. If you plan to keep the vehicle a really long time, deisels will run a lot longer than gas jobs. I've seen many with 400k+ miles. Some deisel powered semi's have over a million miles on the same engine. But it doesn't sound like your going to drive it that much, so maybe gas is better for you. It's quieter, smells better, and accellerates more quickly. But you need to decide for yourself what type of truck best suits your needs. Price of fuel shouldn't be the only factor.
Old November 21st, 2007, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

I live on a farm and with our tractors I hate to crank it up just to shut it back down or I want run to working speed until it warms , maybe just me but we have one tractor with over 80000 hrs. The thing that worries me is on a diesel truck is I`ll drive a few miles at a time and then I might drive 1/2 mile and shut it down and know that will not even get a gas motor warmed up. I just think I`ll do more damage to the diesel the way I drive, but would love to have one. I might drive to town 2-3 timesa week , which is 8-10 miles and then pull a horse trailer from 5- 20 on the weekend.
Thanks Scoper 50
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesels are a better buy imo. They get better mileage and have much better resale. If you can afford it, the diesel will cost less in the long run.
Old December 1st, 2007, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

I hearing about 12-13 mpg on the 08 Duramax. I haven`t seen anyone on here with a 08 telling there mpg. I`ve always been a chevy man but I have pulled around 6-8000 lds with a 1500, 5.3. I would love to have the D/A and I can afford it but just hate the economy of it. I here some of the 03 are getting 17 and 22 . If the new one got this it would be a no brainer. If any one that has a 08 diesel or gas 2500 , please tell me what you are getting .
Thanks
Old December 5th, 2007, 8:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single or Dually?
Old December 6th, 2007, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

Single wheel 2500 HD .
Old December 6th, 2007, 8:06 AM
CF Active Member

the 07 and 08 that come to the dealer average around 14-16mpg in the duramax.
Old December 6th, 2007, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks John.

You know what the sad part about mpg is That I know since 1984 with a 1/2 ton 4x4 , 305 the mpg is the same today. If they can come up with all this power on these trucks then they can come up with some mpg.I`m no mechanic just a farmer. I think the goverment has to do with a lot it.I might be wrong .
Old December 8th, 2007, 9:10 PM
CF Active Member

heh. conspiracy theorist. i like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duramax vs Gas