Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2014, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue

Recently bought an 07 suburban and so far have really enjoyed it. This past weekend we took it on a small road trip, no problems until we were headed home. The radio and instrument cluster were sporadically cutting off and resetting and the ammeter was on the low side of 14. When I got home I took the positive battery cable off, cleaned it and put it back on. Seemed to fix the issue until the next day. Now it's like sometimes in order to start it you have to touch the positive battery terminal and it will start(yes, the terminal is tight). Also the positive post is very hot all the time. Too hot to keep a hand on. My thoughts are possible ground problem but don't know much about automotive electrical repairs. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Check both ends of the battery cables. A bad connection of the negative where it connects to the frame or engine is just as important as the connection to the battery. The other end of the positive cable also has to have a good clean and tight connection or it will heat up.