Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1990 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 electrical issue

Alright, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having. I parked my 1990 1500 4x4. Everything was working fine when I parked it. I went back two days later and nothing electrical is working. The battery has 12.5 volts. The ground wires are good from battery to engine block and frame. I have a good ground everywhere I check. The only thing that is working are the lights. The lights come on fine. It seems that any circuit run to the fuse block is not working. This includes things that should have power all the time, like door locks. At first I thought it might be the set of contacts on the steering column that move when you turn the key, but the door locks and horn, etc, are not working either. All the fuses in the box are good. I do have 12 volts at the fuse box, at least on a few of the circuits I tested. My only thoughts now are the fuse box itself burning up a hardwired path on the board, or if there is some kind of "master fuse" or a fusable link that I'm missing. I'm not an idiot when it comes to electrical issues, and I have a good multimeter, so if anyone can try to explain what might be going on, i should be able to fix it. Thanks for any help!

GoGibbs
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 1990 electrical issue

Do your hazards and brake lights work ??
Old August 7th, 2007, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

No these do not work. Yesterday I found that I do not have 12 volts going to my ignition switch. Is there supposed to be a constant 12 volts there? Also I found that by placing a jumper from my horn fuse (constant power) to any other fuse tied into the ignition, that everything will work. all circuits will work and truck will start. I am thinking about just installing a switch that will give power to these circuits that I can cut off when I stop the car. I just don't know if that's a good idea when something is obviously wrong. Thanks for the response.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM
CF Pro Member

There should be constant 12 volts on the red wire of the ignition switch... the starter wire (yellow or purple) and the ignition wire (pink) should only have 12 volts when the key is at run (or ) start.

On the starter itself ... there is a heavy gauge wire from the battery positive post ... is there any other red wire from there that runs over to the drivers side to the junction on the firewall? Ifso there might be a fusible link on that wire possibly at the starter end that may be gone.
Old August 8th, 2007, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thank You