Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Electrical problems on a chevy lumina

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems on a chevy lumina

I have a 95 chevy lumina, 3.1 ltr V 6, and it is having issues. Three mechanics, in my family, are mystified. The symptoms are as follows, but in no real order; the head lights and interior dash lights dim when the turn signals come on, the radio occasionally will "blip" off and on when the turn signals work, the radio will also "shudder" when I roll up the windows too far, also most recently, the power has been cutting out and stalling the engine. When this happened the first time it started right away. Then not ten minutes later when I arrived home it did it again and this time it would not start. It acted as if the power was gone. The lights went black radio dead, and nothing would work but the hazards. Fifteen or so minutes later, while still trying to start it, the lights faded slowly back to life, but only briefly before turning out completely again. Nearly half an hour after it went dark, the car suddenly started working again, the power came back and it started. Any thoughts?
Old April 24th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Heres some ideas

IT sound to me like a bad ground cable or power cable on your batt, as my first guess or a bad batt. so load test your battery and check the ground cable(usually the cuase) and powercable visually and the voltage drop across them with a multimeter also you could have a bad system ground in your electrical circuts so you might want to find a ground in the wiring digrams that would in some way be connected to all the components you just described. One more possiblity is that you could have a short to ground that could be cuase all sorts of goofy stuff like that. Hope this helps.

Brad( MSU-Northern Deisel/Auto Student/Tech)
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issues

Aidencori, can you please tell me if you ever got these issues fixed and what the cause was? I am having identical problems and have had the car in the shop 3 times this week, yet still having the issues and cannot rely on the car to get me anywhere. I would really appreciate any feedback you can give.
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

take it to auto zone and they will check your alternator for free.It is a possibility that it can be the alternator.If not he messed something up under the dash in the wiring which means you have a mess there.