Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Which engine gasket should I change?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 4:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jkristek
01burban I'm in the middle of the same issue with my 01' Silverado V6 4.3L. The intake gasket went slowly, initially probably just a few drops of coolant into a combustion chamber or two... and since the truck was used regulary it found its way out the exhaust the next day. Sometimes you could smell 'burnt coolant.' Was like this for a year, maybe longer. Then after leaving it in the garage for a few weeks while on vacation, went to start it and 'pop' - misfire. Then it just wouldn't start. Too much coolant had gotten in. Replaced the intake gasket, engine coil, cap and rotor (recommended) and it runs good, but now reading misfire on the computer and won't pass inspection. I hear you have to align the cap and rotor perfectly, so I suspect my mechanic's hands were a lilttle shakey. I don't have the tools so I think I'll just take it to a GM dealer and have them re-set the timing.
I think the dexcool, and PLASTIC gaskets in the intake are the culprit. I have a 2000, serviced the dexcool last year with no issues. Sometimes GM is it's own worst enemy with trying to compete in todays market with real competetion (off soap box)
Old July 30th, 2011, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue...

Sounds like the same basic symptoms I have on my 98. Changed the intake gasket about 40,000 miles back and now getting coolant in to # 4 and # 5 cylinders with # 5 getting the brunt of it. Will be starting in on a manifold gasket replacement after church tomorrow. Will be using the improved Felpro gasket set. Had a trusted mechanic tell me that I will likely never have any more problems with this issue with the new style gaskets... sure hope not. This is not a fast repair. For a little while I thought I might have a head gasket leaking until it began to manifest itself in the opposing cylinder. Not likely to be a head gasket leaking into the opposite bank. . initial symptoms was a miss at idle, first on # 5 and eventually included cylinder #4. I could change the plugs (since they were fouled) and she would purr for a few hundred miles. Last weekend I pulled # 5 plug and had coolant in the plug... Decided it was time to get-r-done.

If any of you highly experienced guys want to add a...."hmmm not so sure that is you problem. You might want to check this first." I will be all ears.

Ken (Yep! my first post except one in the newby introduction posts.)
Old March 9th, 2012, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update.

So I chased this leak all over, passed the carbon test, passed the pressure test. So I used a dye and found the leak. It's a rear heater hose. I've started to search the internet for this part, but cant find it. Plan to hit the local auto parts store tomorrow, guessing I'll end up at the dealership.

Check out these pics. Looks like a little design flaw that it could rub in that way.

Can I patch it?
Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 142