Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Engine issue

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2011, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issue

My truck has been acting up sporadically for the last month. First, while I was driving it felt like it dropped into neutral but the rpm's revved. It almost stalled and battery light came on. I pulled over, turned off the engine, restarted it and drove for 4 days with no problem.
Next incident, felt like I had no power engined raced for about 3 seconds and it continued on as usual.
Had the truck serviced! They replaced the bad fan clutch and replaced both serpentine belts, charged A/C. Removed and replaced front leaking pinion seal, performed BG fuel injector cleaning and cleaned throttle body all other tune up parts ok. Serviced transmission , removed trans pan and replaced trans filter, also replaced spin on trans filter and filled with new fluid. Cleaned throttle body and cleaned fuel injectors, checked engine data and checked fuel pressure, both ok.
Drove the truck for 6 days, no problems until tonight. While drive it lost all power and shut off. Since I could not really steer I barely missed a mailbox. Turned off ignition, restarted dash gear symbols flickered and I drove it home with no incidence. Any idea's?
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Check the ground cable from battery to the block...
Old July 1st, 2011, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks in2pro I'll check that. I was thinking maybe ignition switch?
Old July 1st, 2011, 9:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It could be the ignition switch, particularly if you have an acrobatic circus going on on your key ring,( too much junk on your key ring ) but going after the easy simple stuff is usually the best place to start when it affects multiple systems like you are seeing..
Old July 5th, 2011, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with the switch diagnosis. People sometimes have 3 pounds of keys on a key chain and that will definitely mess a switch up after a while. Take it to your local auto parts store and have them load test your battery too. A weak or dying cell can wreak havoc on an electrical system and drive you crazy trying to figure it out.
Old July 7th, 2011, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

No circus on my key ring. It finally threw a code for a misfire. Found a bad crank position sensor, replaced it, the spark plugs and the fuel pump. Hauled my horse to Va. today from NJ. Rand fine but heard a funny sound the last 5 highway miles, like someone tapping tin foil! When I got off the highway the noise stopped. They truck ran fine the entire time.