Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Evaporative system not ready.. help

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2019, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporative system not ready.. help

Took my Chevy Malibu 2004 into car inspection today. Recieved a red rejection sticker. The report said evaporative system not ready... so I’ve been driving for hours now trying to get it to activate but it won’t. My obd device says evaporative system not passed in all red. I’m wasting so much gas driving around and it not going on. Did local side streets and highways 55 mph and above . Any ideas ?
Old December 19th, 2019, 2:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hardcore
Took my Chevy Malibu 2004 into car inspection today. Recieved a red rejection sticker. The report said evaporative system not ready... so I’ve been driving for hours now trying to get it to activate but it won’t. My obd device says evaporative system not passed in all red. I’m wasting so much gas driving around and it not going on. Did local side streets and highways 55 mph and above . Any ideas ?
Glad I am not the only one who this happened to, sorrry about that. It usually clears in 50 miles or less. I had to drive for 200 miles so the evap would shut down on my Camaro. The eco-freaks think that is a good idea?

Wasn't one thing wrong with the evap system but the ECM said otherwise so no smog cert.. Glad I wont have to worry about that to worry about anymore.
Old December 19th, 2019, 1:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

The evap monitor won't run if the fuel level isn't between 15 and 85%. Some aren't designed to run in cold temperatures so the inspection stations allow a conditional pass for evap.

what was the fault code that was originally set and what was done to repair it.

Last edited by tech2; December 19th, 2019 at 1:45 PM.
Old December 20th, 2019, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
The evap monitor won't run if the fuel level isn't between 15 and 85%. Some aren't designed to run in cold temperatures so the inspection stations allow a conditional pass for evap.

what was the fault code that was originally set and what was done to repair it.
I always have my gas full to half way. How do I know if my Chevy Malibu isn’t designed to run in the cold ? If this is the case then wouldn’t the DMV inspector have marked it as conditional pass for EVAP ? It’s freezing in New Jersey right now.
Old December 20th, 2019, 12:41 AM
CF Monarch

I always have my gas full to half way. How do I know if my Chevy Malibu isn’t designed to run in the cold ? If this is the case then wouldn’t the DMV inspector have marked it as conditional pass for EVAP ? It’s freezing in New Jersey right now.
Mine happened in warm weather with 3/4 of a tank of gas. No reason it should not have passed. 200 miles to reset the ECM evap when my code reader was showing good?
Old December 20th, 2019, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Mine happened in warm weather with 3/4 of a tank of gas. No reason it should not have passed. 200 miles to reset the ECM evap when my code reader was showing good?
are you saying it took 200 miles for your EVAP system to finally show passed ?
Old December 20th, 2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

If this is the case then wouldn’t the DMV inspector have marked it as conditional pass for EVAP ? It’s freezing in New Jersey right now.
you should ask the inspection station.
Old December 20th, 2019, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you should ask the inspection station.
Well I got it to finally read passed in all green! Just did another cold start this morning and drove 45 mph down the street. My OBD device read evaporative system passed. Good riddance, what a torture that was. Thanks for the help.
Old December 20th, 2019, 9:53 PM
CF Monarch

are you saying it took 200 miles for your EVAP system to finally show passed ?
Yes, but only on their equipment. My Innova code reader said it was fine. 200 miles is correct. What a waste of gasoline.
Old December 20th, 2019, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Yes, but only on their equipment. My Innova code reader said it was fine. 200 miles is correct. What a waste of gasoline.
I feel you! It was driving me insane literally wasting all that gas. Glad it’s over with now though I just passed inspection to.