Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Extra 350 in garage need help!

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2010, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra 350 in garage need help!

My uncle gave me a extra 350 out of his 55 bel-air. So my question to you guys is, what can i stuff this in? camaro would be the way to go, but what years can i dump this with new motor mounts? Im looking for a decent body with jacked up motor,or as a roller. What trans can be mounted up to this thing with out taking a chunk of change but can withhold street some track abuse? Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks guys.
Old July 18th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Veteran

Default questions

it seams you got your mind set on a camero ,it would be a good fit in the years 67-75 others will go also .but depends on how much work the chassis needs .a turbo 400 is a great fit for a durable trans .
Old July 18th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anything you want to put it in.
Old July 18th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a turbo 4oo is indeed a great trans, nearly bulletproof, however it's a big power eater. takes alot of power to turn it. a good turbo 350 can hold up to serious abuse if built right. as far as what car, it'll bolt into just about any car with little work involved. usually just need the smallblock frame mounts for the motor, easily obtained online, and some parts stores. the hard part is deciding which car. after that, it's easy money.
Old July 18th, 2010, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the tips, always loved the camaro. what about the 3red or 4th gen camaro or firebird? and how much can you get a turbo 350 trans,rebuilt from a shop or the internet? manual or automatic?
Old July 19th, 2010, 1:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a potent 350 in my 81 malibu, the cars are cheap (if u can find 1 without rust) and i would go with a turbo 350 too, the 400's sap power, if going with any 80's car swap the rear end out they are weak and generally come with unflattering gears
Old July 20th, 2010, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

also what about the rear, what gears should be put in with and auto trans?.
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I have owned many different Chevy's over the years and unless your 350 is putting out some serious power, I think you are over looking the issue. If you have a good amount of power (like 325hp or more) if you don"t then you just really need to be looking for decent V8 equipped car or truck. As far as prices that depends on A) your location B) what your budget is C) where you are looking. I have found some kick a$$ cars at my local wrecking/junk yards. I have some people at a locally known street called "junk yard alley" These people will call me when they have a certain car/truck come in and let me either cherry pick parts or opt to buy the whole thing. Most if not all wrecking yards will sell the whole car you just gotta catch it before it is picked clean of all its good parts. You could also check Craigslist they will always have a cheap Chevy v8 car/truck listed and these people really wheel and deal. I bought my 78 k5 2WD blazer (check my profile for truck info)from a guy who wanted 2300 and I was driving the blazer home for 1900. This just goes to show that money talks and BS walks. Hope it helps.
Old July 21st, 2010, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

3.73 are a good street strip gear, and as far as 3rd and 4th gen camaros, it will fit in all the v8 3rd gens and should fit in all of the 97 and older camaros with the lt1.
Old July 24th, 2010, 2:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbchevy
also what about the rear, what gears should be put in with and auto trans?.
the gear ration is kinda figured on 3 aspects, how you will be driving it, how much power u have and how heavy the vehicle is, and for trans it is the same questions with your own added preference, if u are on the highway, and want wiked accelerations, then 3:73's and a beefed up 700r, if only strip, (300-400 hp) the turbo 350 (400- up hp) then id go with a turbo 400, if your car is lets say a vega then u can get away with taller highway gears, but in a '65 impalla drag car u go 4:11 or higher, it is all in how u plan on using the car, and what car it is

Quick Reply: Extra 350 in garage need help!