Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Feathering on tires at 4500 miles

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2018, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feathering on tires at 4500 miles

Purchased my truck in November and from the start had a vibration at 60-70. My thoughts immediately went to tires not properly balanced. Spoke with a friend who is a service manager at local Chevy dealership and he mentioned it could also be flat spots from sitting on lot too long. Seemed like a reasonable possibility so at his suggestion I over inflated tires and drove for a few hundred miles to try and wear flat spots down. Seemed to help with vibration. Readjusted air pressure and vibration came back just like before. Finally had a weekend free to take it in to local firestone for a balance check. Asked them to check prior to popping old weights off. Fronts were ok. 1 was perfect the other half ounce off. The tears however were 3 ounces off. When I picked it up he pointed out feathering on the now rear wheels. So evidently toe was off enough to produce noticeable wear on outer edges of both of and rt side tires. Only the 2 that we’re front rotated to rear. That tells me I need an alignment. My question is how is a brand new truck at 4500(and evidently since I purchased) already so far out of balance and alignment. This sounds like a problem during assembly or pdi. I haven’t driven on rough roads or hot any potholes. Is this an issue that will be covered under my warranty. I feel like at the very minimum an alignment and replacement of the worn tires is in order. Any service writers or Chevy techs have any knowledge about this. Thanks in advance.
Old March 17th, 2018, 4:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't know much about your truck, model ect. You could have thrown a weight, did you have them rotated?
Old March 17th, 2018, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they rotated them and all the weights were there. I watched them. Appeared as though the weights were placed incorrectly. I’m sure that I could have an alignment done and they would probably wear normally and be fine but I think with 4500 miles it’s just a bit too soon to have to rotate and do an alignment. Haven’t even changed oil the first time yet. Planned on doing that at 5000 or so. Just trying to find out if I have a snowballs chance of getting GM to do anything to help reimburse me for anything. I feel like a free alignment to correct the issue is the least they could do. I’d like at least the 2 tires that have damage replaced but I’m sure that’s a long shot.
Old March 17th, 2018, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if your tires are featheredged; correct the toe setting immediately before the tires are trashed. If you rotated them, you will now trash the other 2. The fact that you can even see irregular tire wear at this low mileage means its out a fair amount. If this truck has no aftermarket parts and nothing is bent; the alignment was off from factory. Is the truck loaded so much that the ride height is changed?

They won't warranty alignment after 6000 miles so get it done pronto.

pdi has nothing to do with alignment. if the truck drives straight and the steering is centered; that all that is done for pdi alignment related.