Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Forgot to chase threads what should I do

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to chase threads what should I do

Hi guys kinda did a dumb thing. I didn't chase my threads with a thread chaser when I installed ONE of my cylinder head on my stock vortec 5.7... I did drain/ dried all the coolant from block threads, used a wire brush on a drill and also used q tips with carb cleaner to remove any coolant and debris from the threads. The head bolts were kinda hard to initially start, but seemed to torque down just fine after hand tightened with a stubby ratchet. I know it was really dumb not to chase them, my wife is very sick on dialysis so I kinda had to rush. I used a severe duty gasket (fel pro 501sd) and head/block surface was almost flawless. I also used brand new bolts with sealant pre installed on them (fel pro es 72856 I believe number is) Do you think I will be OK on a stock 350 V8 if I somewhat prepped the threads and they were dry of coolant and debris? Just kinda hard to thread in from whatever left over thread sealant I didn't remove and they seemed to torque down pretty well. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I think your fine. Flat rate techs don't chase them unless they see a problem during removal. The heads weren't off for an extended period of time to corrode and the bolts were not torque to yield.

Last edited by tech2; March 10th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.