Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

frame damage

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2014, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame damage

I have a 98 chevy 2500 2wd ext cab w/ 160k miles that I've got running really well over the past year w/o spending more than 100 bucks somehow. Anyways me and this truck have a thing going and ( please excuse the ignorance of tech language ) I found a front A arm drivers side mounting bracket ( there are two it's the rear one ) bent and looks like a really bad re weld , bad like they laid a bolt in the uphill weld to fix the whole they blew in it . I've located the part I'm just not sure if this is something a novice should do I've taken measurements the rest of the frame is ok it drives down the road straight but it has a bad lean to the passenger side ( like 2 inches ) that's driving me nuts and it will eat tires if I don't rotate often I can't find anything on you tube or anywhere else about this please help
Old December 5th, 2014, 7:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

can you post a pic of the control arm bracket?

once the bracket is fixed, do a complete suspension check of the ball joints, steering linkage, springs, tires etc. If they are all good, adjust the torsion bars to correct the ride height. then get it aligned.
Old December 6th, 2014, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic I'm on an Android sorry no computer so Po
Old December 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

I loaded some pics I I guess the question is how would I fit the bracket back up I'm assuming I have to take the coil spring out and drop the arm it's a 2wd so no torsion bars I don't think if I could lift that side an inch or two I would probably just be ok with that