Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Front everything swap.

Old October 25th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front everything swap.

Hello, I'm new here so go easy on me.

I'v got a 1984 Pontiac Sunbird LE with the 1.8 turbo. Since having the car I have found that parts are few and far between if even available. As result of this I'v learned a bit about "makeing do" and fabrication.

The 1.8 turbo gets the car around infact if it were paired with a 5 speed transmisson I'm sure it would be fun to drive. However, since it is mated to an automatic 3 speed it's shall we say gutless or at least not a performer.

As result of this being my only car (have a 90' Dodge RamCharger also) and a "need for speed" problem I can't get away from I'd like to know what I can do to bring it to life. If it was not for the fact that I have painted the car and recovered the seats myself I'd pass the car on and look for something else. But it's not a a highly valued car and it has a bit of value to me being my first attempt at restoration.

I am willing (and leaning twards) pulling out the whole front end and stuffing a 3.1 V6 in it. This would include the tranny, suspension and all.

First off... physicly, is it possible? Would it be out of line? And what if any major problems would I run into while doing this?