Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Gas fill issue

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2020, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas fill issue

Ok, so my wife drives a 2010 tahoe with around 230,000 miles on it that she has babied since day one. Runs strong but will probably get rid of it within 2 years. All of a sudden she is having a hard time putting gas in it. She says it constantly clicks at start of fill. I tried it yesterday and it ran smooth for about 5 gallons then constant turn off click. Tried moving handle all around and changing speed etc, still no better. Did end up filling it up over extended time. Read up on it a little and she took it to her mechanic today. They said charcoal box or whatever totally broke apart and is in line etc and they are all factory parts and minimum is 680.00 to fix best case, and could be way more if lines are bad or needs to pull gas tank worse case. Trying not to put alot of money in this truck last year or two before getting rid of it just wondering what is worse thing that could happen to the truck because of this issue? Just a pain pumping gas? I could live with that no problem but persuading her might be a issue, lol. Trying to get some advice before talking to mechanic again. Thanks!!
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

You can get the canister online for less than $100 and it would be an AC Delco part. If the purge and vent valve solenoids are also bad, that could be another $60. It is not that big of a job to do. If you can't do it yourself, I would suggest trying another mechanic. $680 seems too much for that job.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can get the canister online for less than $100 and it would be an AC Delco part. If the purge and vent valve solenoids are also bad, that could be another $60. It is not that big of a job to do. If you can't do it yourself, I would suggest trying another mechanic. $680 seems too much for that job.
Ok, thx. Mechanic also mentioned something about the hose from the canister was clogged with charcoal? Still sounds like I need to attempt it myself or bring somewhere else.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 2:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

If you want to crawl under it and get a little dirty you can do it. I have a Silverado and can get under it without jacking it up. I would check with another mechanic as I said before $680 seems to higth to me.