Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Gas Tank Filling Problem

Old April 3rd, 2013, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Filling Problem

I've got a 2009 Avalanche and during fillups, it constantly kicks the nozzle off. On an empty tank fillup it acts as though the tank was full. Sounds like a venting issue but would like another opinion. Currently have SEL on for vent valve failure but I eliminated the valve entirely and still have problems filling up...Anyone?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 7:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dcoperator
I've got a 2009 Avalanche and during fillups, it constantly kicks the nozzle off. On an empty tank fillup it acts as though the tank was full. Sounds like a venting issue but would like another opinion. Currently have SEL on for vent valve failure but I eliminated the valve entirely and still have problems filling up...Anyone?
How did you "eliminate" it?
Old April 5th, 2013, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

I removed the vent valve assembly from the system which I'm thinking should allow the tank to vent with no obstruction.
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dcoperator

dcoperator,

I wanted to reach out to see if you are still experiencing this concern during fill ups. If you would like, I can look into your concern. Please private message me your name, VIN, mileage, and address.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default Slow fueling

Hey has anyone gotten any answers to the slow and painful refueling on a 07 Avalanche? I took my truck into the dealership last week and ask them to see scope my fuel neck/tank cause I thought someone put a towel or rag down my tank instead they replaced my Evap solenoid and that didn't work I couldn't put $0.20 in my tank without it cutting off on me every 5 sec. It got bad to the point I use jerry cans to fill my tank and its a pain... Do anyone have the right fix for my problem? The dealership wanted to drop my tank just to see if it will correct the problem for $1,500 of course but I declined offer. Need help with this issue
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the canister vent is normally open and only closes during leak testing. removing it would only work if its stuck closed.
you need to see if the vent path from the tank to the canister to the vent valve to the vent valve filter is clear.

if the vent solenoid is shorted or open a dtc will set and replacement is needed....but a filling problem can go deeper.....clogged canister, vent line.
Old April 17th, 2016, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

if you ran without a vent valve i'd be willing to bet your canister is plugged up now. The vent valve has a filter in it to help keep debris and dust out which still doesn't do the greatest job but removing the vent valve entirely means you left a wide open hose sucking air/dirt/moisture whatever else you were around.