Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Getting 57 running again

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2011, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting 57 running again

I have a 57 bel air that was running fine but that was 7+ years ago. I know the fuel needs to be drained and fresh fuel placed in. It still has factory tank on car what is the best method of doing this as I am sure there is bound to be rust/ sediment in fuel tank and I'd rather not get into lines/ engine. Thx.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 2:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You are going to have to decide what to do with it. If you want to keep/drive it, I'd suggest pull the tank, flush, flush or replace fuel lines with SS. I had a bel air delux as a kid growing up. 283 or 6 cyl?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds dumb but I have no idea. I know it is a sport coupe, as there is no center door post once all windows are down. I really think it is a 6cyl from what i remember as a kid. My father and I rebuilt 75% of the car but he passed in 2000 and I have driven it 1 time. Now I am bringing it to where I live now to get to work on it but I've got lots of home work ahead of me. Thanks for the reply I figured that was the ultimate solution.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Monarch

is it a 4 door, or 2 door? No post mean it is not a sedan, 2 door is worth alot more (hardtop). Also on the front/back hood/trunk is the V gold or silver, and does it have bel air or nothing? You can identify the engine with 6 cylinders i.e six plug wires/distributor, or 8. Either way the fuel system is the same as I suggested.

Last edited by kevinkpk; August 23rd, 2011 at 3:44 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 9:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Redrooster, welcome to the Forum !

I've had some older vehicles like you and there's going to be a bunch
of us watching this thread closely

Keep posting here to us, and good luck !

S.W.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Is your Bel Air in good condition (minus your discussed problem)? I'd love to see a picture of this Chevrolet classic. Care to share?
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Gold embelems on hood and rear has bel air logo on side body. I really think it is a 6, like I said it has been years since i saw it last been garage kept and in good shape. Once i get the task of getting to me I will for sure post some pics and as well share my glory stories of hours in the garage cussing parts on adn off for repair/ maintinace. Stay tuned
Old August 24th, 2011, 1:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red,

I just want to tell you, that you've got a chance here, of making a vehicle which could be worth a lot of money.

Having a 57 is SO tempting to start making a Hot Rod out of it, and there's a lot of them around. But, I'd urge you to preserve the originality of that vehicle, in every way you can, cause that's what makes one of them very valuable. There have been some, just like yours, that sold for OVER $100,000 ! ! !
Old August 24th, 2011, 3:12 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Redrooster
Gold embelems on hood and rear has bel air logo on side body. I really think it is a 6, like I said it has been years since i saw it last been garage kept and in good shape. Once i get the task of getting to me I will for sure post some pics and as well share my glory stories of hours in the garage cussing parts on adn off for repair/ maintinace. Stay tuned
Gold emblems means it is a deluxe, is it two or four door? Also does it have posts?
Old August 24th, 2011, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

4 door no posts. Additionally we installed disc brakes on all 4 wheels. I would not ever look into changing anything about this car. I am not a huge fan of muscle cars I could care less how quickly I can get down a quarter mile. I just enjoy the look on everyones faces as I cruise on by. Hell I installed a CD player but wired it into the glove box that way the original 2 prong stayed in dash as original.

Quick Reply: Getting 57 running again