Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

GM 2004 tem/fuel guage stands straight up

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2016, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Truck 2004 temp/fuel guage stands straight up,and on some other vehicles too

I just learned that on most 2004 and some 2003 chevy s10 pickups or earlier, seem to have a problem with the fuel and temp gauges standing at the 12:00 position after the key is removed... to check this on most chevys,.. open the hood... shut the vehicle off...watch for the gauges to go up ..remove the key and go disconnect your positive cable from the battery. Look through the drivers window to see if the gauges are still at the 12:00 position. if they are.. a tech on electrical issues told me this is not a problem.. the needles just sit where they are after the bcm checks the vehicle out for proper shutdown. It does not use the battery while off. On the other hand.. if youre still having battery drain problems.. replace your battery.. and take the alternator to your parts store for a free check up. I spent three days trying to troubleshoot this issue..when in fact my battery had a short in it.. and the gauges i had finally noticed doing this and never noticed it before for five years! Now im at peace with my truck.. and my battery is being charged correctly by the alt.. and this new battery is great. Even after asking the dealership what was this needle standing straight up meant...they said well, for $129.00 an hour we can troubleshoot it. I knew something was up..every time i called a shop or other dealerships.. they all were not too quick to tell me it was normal.. matter of fact.. none of them told me this was normal.. i got my info from my parts store near me...and he quickly laughed at the part about the dealerships.. he said it was typical of them to make money this way.. ..well , some of us can't afford those hourly charges....so this is why i am telling you to check this situation before you decide by mental anguish to pay such charges for something that is suppose to be normal in most vehicles these days. Hope this helps someone in here.. there was only one post on another site that described my particular troubles...and at the end of their discussion.. there were not one word of how to take care of what i thought was a problem. This is just a quick check if all your cluster needles work when the vehicle starts.
Kat

2004 chevy pick up
4x4 posi rear end
LS
crew cab

Last edited by octokat1; November 9th, 2016 at 5:12 PM.