Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Growling noise

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling noise

Hey folks. I appreciate any help I can get on this:

Bought a well used 2003 Suburban 1500 LT about a month ago. It is a third vehicle for me. Bought it to pull my 24ft camper and to be a toy to tinker with. I enjoy playing with auto mechanics though I would consider myself a novice still.

It is making some noise when driving. Very predictable noise. It always starts about 15-20mph and is sort of a whooomp...whoooomp....whooomp sound. Accelerating and decelerating have no bearing on it. Turning doesn't either except that I am generally under 20mph in a turn. The frequency of the noise is significantly lower than wheel rotation speed and is definately related to speed, however.

Tires brand new, all brakes brand new, axle full of brand new fluid.

The truck has 147k on it.

i suspect axle or carrier bearings. But not sure. i have the will and the desire to do the job myself. i have a garage and the truck is my terciary driver, so no pressure to get the job done quickly. That said, is changing all these bearings something that I can do at home? i know I'll need some pullers.

i feel comfortable getting it down to axle shafts removed. But not sure how to proceed from there. Would the carrier just come out once the shafts are removed? Would I do the carrier bearing swap outside the pumpkin or inside? Not sure about that yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bryris; January 20th, 2015 at 8:22 PM.