Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help with info on 454

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2019, 6:17 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with info on 454

I have never owned or worked on a bbc. I know almost nothing about them except I’ve always wanted one and finally did. These are the numbers I was able to find.

Block: 3999289
GM10 T
B10 75
Heads: 3931063

I was told it was a 454 and I was able to hear it run & the guy even took me for a ride. It was in his 1974 Pontiac Firebird & he wanted to put the correct manufacture motor in it. It ran well. He kept the carb so I have to buy another one. Before I do I was going to see about maybe a better cam.

Was hoping someone could tell me if this is a good block/heads, what kind of hp this set up might have (ball park). I have done a little bit of reading & looks like ok heads but says they were used in 427’s from 69-70. I do know the heads have roller rockers.

I’ll be putting it in my 1954 Chevy Truck & was hoping to get about 500 hp. Any input is appreciated.

Old May 25th, 2019, 2:08 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Green
I have never owned or worked on a bbc. I know almost nothing about them except I’ve always wanted one and finally did. These are the numbers I was able to find.

Block: 3999289
GM10 T
B10 75
Heads: 3931063

I was told it was a 454 and I was able to hear it run & the guy even took me for a ride. It was in his 1974 Pontiac Firebird & he wanted to put the correct manufacture motor in it. It ran well. He kept the carb so I have to buy another one. Before I do I was going to see about maybe a better cam.

Was hoping someone could tell me if this is a good block/heads, what kind of hp this set up might have (ball park). I have done a little bit of reading & looks like ok heads but says they were used in 427’s from 69-70. I do know the heads have roller rockers.

I’ll be putting it in my 1954 Chevy Truck & was hoping to get about 500 hp. Any input is appreciated.
Most mid-1970's engines were lower compression engines for smog control..The 454 had various power levels. as low as 270 HP.. with the correct cam and a good carb (Holley or Carter/ Edlebrock in the 650 to 750 range should help, Don't touch an R-C Quadrajet) Hope you have a very solid rear axle in your 1954 Chevy pickup.too.
Old May 25th, 2019, 10:42 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i would call or get a hold of a cam company (like comp cams) and tell them what your working on and they should be able to tell you what setup (even carb cfm) to go with. i would prob get a holley over edlebrock but thats just me