Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help Reading this OBDII

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2018, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Reading this OBDII

Hello Everyone,
My 2007 Tahoe has been throwing the P0430 code on and off for a while now. I would clear it and it would stay off for 6 months or longer. Recently it's come back on with in days so I connected it to a friends reader and took the following video. In this video it shows the two sensors after the two catalytic converters and mid way through I run the engine at 2k rpm. I was hoping if this was enough information for someone to tell him if they think the Bank 2 cat is in fact bad or could it be something else. I tried reading many threads and watching videos but I'm getting conflicting information. From the reader it seems like the cat is performing but I might be missing something. One thing I noticed is that the Bank 2 sensor seems to go wild after the throttle is let off. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old December 10th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what you should be comparing is b2s1 activity vs b2s2. this is what the pcm compares to verify cat operation. it views 02 cross counts. under normal operation the rear 02 should switch slow....as the cat cleans up the hydro carbons by redox reactions. when the cat efficiency is poor the rear switches fast....like the front sensor.
So if you have no exhaust system leaks and both 02 are switching fast...you probably need a cat. don't cheap out and buy a cheap cat.

If you have put in a new rear sensor and have a old front sensor....make sure the old sensor is not lazy...ie switching slowly...or the cross count data will be the same front to rear and set the code.
Old December 10th, 2018, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tech2! I'll try comparing both Bank 2 sensors.