Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help slave cylinder braided hose leak

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2018, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help slave cylinder braided hose leak

Just pulled tranny replaced slave cylinder MANUAL 5 SPEED CLUTCH.didnt check under the truck and the plastic clips that hold the braided cable from master cylinder to slave connection. Was hanging the plastic clip hit the exhaust and melted into the line so now brand new slave line is leaking out brake fluid everywhere.**** PLEASE I NEED A FIX AND DONT WANT TO PULL OUT TRANNY AGAIN. ANYONE SUGGESTIONS
Old September 1st, 2018, 4:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

make model year engine?
slave is part of the hydraulic release bearing?
Old September 1st, 2018, 6:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Chanda Woods
Just pulled tranny replaced slave cylinder MANUAL 5 SPEED CLUTCH.didnt check under the truck and the plastic clips that hold the braided cable from master cylinder to slave connection. Was hanging the plastic clip hit the exhaust and melted into the line so now brand new slave line is leaking out brake fluid everywhere.**** PLEASE I NEED A FIX AND DONT WANT TO PULL OUT TRANNY AGAIN. ANYONE SUGGESTIONS
Might be able to use a piece of steel brake line to make a repair. Identify where the leak is. Cut or saw that part out, and use the brake line to replace it. You may have
to used something other then screw-type hose clamps to secure the line to the steel braided hose portions, like SS single-ear pinch-type hose clamps.

I dont really know what kind of pressure it takes to release the clutch slave hydraulic throw-out bearing, but my guess is that its much less then the pressures of a hydraulic braking system.

The worst thing that could happen is the repair doesn't work for long, and you have brake fluid spraying all over the place, which you'll need to wash off before it destroys your vehicles paint job. If out and about if it fails, you can always have it towed, or you can learn to shift a transmission without a clutch and baby it home, or to a shop.
Old September 1st, 2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if its a true slave housed outside the transmission...take the hose to a shop that makes hydraulic fittings...they are cheap to make...did this with my 4 speed fiero and it lasted the life of the vehicle.
Old September 1st, 2018, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 chevy Silverado 4.3 v6 rear wheel drive

thanks for the replies