Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high oil pressure

i have a 2006 chevrolet z71 crew cab with 5.3 the oil pressure gauge all of a sudden maxed out on 80 checked oil to make sure it was at right level ,and it was.no warning lights on .just kinda wanting reasurance that its the oil pressure switch that is bad
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I would say yes the switch is out. Might be easier to replace the switch first and if the problem persists, check the wires for any breaks or exposed wires as this will cause the gauge to max out also, but it could be a major pain to do.

Hope it helps.
Old April 19th, 2011, 9:03 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

irnhd1960, you could have the vehicle diagnosed by your dealership and then have a starting point as to how to proceed on fixing the vehicle yourself or if you feel it is too big a job for you you could have them fix the vehicle as well. I hope this helps you and keep me up to date on your progress.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
irnhd1960, you could have the vehicle diagnosed by your dealership and then have a starting point as to how to proceed on fixing the vehicle yourself or if you feel it is too big a job for you you could have them fix the vehicle as well. I hope this helps you and keep me up to date on your progress.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
This is a wonderful idea if the dealership didn't charge like $185.00 an hour to do the same thing I suggested him to do himself. The dealerships are blood sucking jackals that should be ashamed of themselves.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 5:11 AM
CF Beginner

04 Trailblazer oil pressure gauge went over 80 psi, Chevy dealer changed sending unit also check engine light was on so changed thermostat, ok for 20 miles then same high oil pressure, changed sending unit again and did hard line test they say but techs can't find problem, they THINK?? it's the oil pump but say odd for it to register high if pump bad...I don't know what to do with it, read that thermostat could give high reading if now allowing engine to warm, also could it be a bad oil filter or wrong oil but a dealership should know that right?
Old December 8th, 2012, 8:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Try a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if the pressure is actually high. This could rule out bad oil filter, pump or oil.
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

does high oil pressure consume too much petrol in car and gives too much smoke out?? as this type of problem is arriving with me also these days with the car of mine......