Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How to get belt driven air compressor

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2013, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get belt driven air compressor

Hey all. Im not sure if I'm in the correct forum or not, so feel free to move it. I thought it would be okay here, since im looking for something for a motor thats in more than just a silverado...

Anyway, I have train horns on my truck. I have a 2011 1500 silverado. I'm running a 5 gal tank, but looking for go bigger. I have an air compressor right now that's wired to the ignition and runs when the truck is running. I use the horns quiet a bit, and it gets annoying listening to the sound of the compressor rattling the frame of the truck...

I was wondering, if it was possible to hook up an air compressor to the belt drive of my truck. I work for the fire dept, and I see that fire trucks have these types of compressors...

The thing is, I need the compressor to stop at 150 psi.. I do have a relief valve rated for 150 psi. But right now, the compressor I have, has a brain, and shuts off at 150 psi and turns back on when it gets lower than 110psi. With these belt driven air compressor, is there a way for it to shut off? Or is it always running, and always opens the relief valve every-time it gets full? I'm not sure exactly how these work, and if its even possible to mount one on my engine. I have the 5.3L v8 fuel economy engine ( if that helps any)

Thanks in advance.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belt drives work almost the same way as the Motor Driven.
Just imagine how your A/C compressor works (the Clutch in the front of it) and your pressure limit switch engages/disengages it just like the A/C.

Any Pressure Relief Valveing you have, should be related to the Tank Capacity (stamped on the side of the tank), and not involved with the Compressor.

IF your present Pressure Regulator is separate from your drive motor, all you need to do is change Compressor.

When/if you change this out, remember you're going to have to have a flexible line between the compressor and the rest of the system.
(don't be cinchy on the length)

Last edited by SWHouston; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:31 AM.