Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How to time a vortex 454 ?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2018, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to time a vortex 454 ?

Hi I'm new to the forum. My current problem is I broke the ear off the distributor cap and the back cap screw wouldn't turn out on this 454 vortec in a 1996 c3500. Now with all the crap on this motor I decided it was easier to remove the distributor and deal with it that way. Boy was i wrong. I thought I was smart and marked the distributor body and rotor locations. But most of the ink wore off. So I stuck it in the closet I could and wouldn't run. I've had it in and out about a half dozen or so times and still it won't run. I tried 2 different methods of timing it with the number 1 cyl at tdc and no luck. I tried setting number 1 cyl to tdc and marking the number 1 cy position on the distributor body and setting the rotor to that. I also did a similar option that involves turning the distributor shaft to a certain position that I found on another forum and no luck.What am I doing wrong ??????????

Last edited by Vortec454; December 31st, 2018 at 3:19 PM.
Old December 31st, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

I also tried this thinking it might get it up abd running but it didnt help

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html
Old December 31st, 2018, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Update. I randomly adjusted it again and it's now in spec enough to where it's starts and runs well but bucks back against the starter. And doesn't wanna start. On these is that too far advanced timing or is the timing retarded too much ? I'm not very familiar with vortex chevrolets. Thanks
Old January 1st, 2019, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about Vortec anything, but it sounds like you may have over-advanced timing, due to kick-back.

I would rotate the engine to where the ignition fire mark lines up with the pulley, just before TDC, and pull off the distributor cap, Look at where the points on the reluctor line up with the electronic pickup, and verify they are pointed directly in line with each other. You might have to rotate the distributor a little bit to line them up.