Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Hydraulic lifters

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2019, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic lifters

1963 Corvette runs rough at normal half turn valve adjustment but smooths out at very loose lash (1 and half turns loose). This was a previous owner rebuild with less than 100 miles but no details or parts list came with the car. Car was parked for over a year, are the hydraulic lifters the most likely problem? Thanks for any help, this one really has me puzzled...jim
Old October 31st, 2019, 2:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboh
1963 Corvette runs rough at normal half turn valve adjustment but smooths out at very loose lash (1 and half turns loose). This was a previous owner rebuild with less than 100 miles but no details or parts list came with the car. Car was parked for over a year, are the hydraulic lifters the most likely problem? Thanks for any help, this one really has me puzzled...jim
Yes that might be the problem. If the lifters are seriously damaged, they will need replacement. In the meantime there are additives that _might_ free a stuck lifter. One trick that's been around forever is to put a quart of automatic transmission fluid down the engine oil fill hole and run that as hot as you can. Lucas and Marvel Mystery Oil are said to help as well. I've never seen it work for a stuck lifter but one that was making noise I have seen that work.
Old October 31st, 2019, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You should have about .010" clearance from rocker arm to valve with valve full closed. With a collapsed lifter it would be the other way around, having to compensate for the lifter at the rocker arm. As stated since this only has 100 miles, either replace lifters, at least pull them they can usually be cleaned up, and re-used. Is this happening on all cylinders?

Also on the bottom of the lifter, check that the cam lobe isn't "banging" the lifter, this could be a cam shaft issue.

Last edited by kevinkpk; October 31st, 2019 at 2:44 PM. Reason: Also on the bottom of the lifter, check that the cam lobe isn't "banging" the lifter, this could be a cam shaft issue
Old October 31st, 2019, 5:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

hydraulic lifters need clearance? Isn't that only for solid lifters. I've never worked on something that old so educate me.
Old October 31st, 2019, 6:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Perhaps .002", this is to make sure the valve is fully closed when it should be