Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

i have a clicking with starter

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got the battery tested again and it seems to be bad and the original alt tested and the stator is bad...........i exchanged out batteries...........the orignal i bought from wal mart in september a 75 dollar battery already bad......but they replaced for free, i put it on and its works like its suppose to but whether or not the second alt off the 81 chevy will charge it ? im going to have it tested to be sure.....i appriciate all help.
Old April 30th, 2009, 3:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For future referrence:

Even if all of your lights are on your battery can still be bad. Especially if you hear clicking. If it's a starter there is only one click. Next time before you try replacing anything or diagnosing try jumping it. Give it a couple minutes to charge off of the other car and then give it a try. Sometimes it takes some time.
Old May 1st, 2009, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...........

yea it was crazy..........i guess it was clicking repeatedly because the battery was dead, and the alt wasing charging it............some times it would click once and i tapped the started and the solenoid a cple times then it wouldnt do anything, the starter actually had some flat spots and was sticking and the battery was bad bought in september, and the stator in the orignal alt is bad, and as for the backup im gonna have it tested to so i dont kill this new battery, i really appriciate u guys for the help i just became a member and its pretty cool sight, i knew that any problem that i ran into some one has done had the same problem, thanks
Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to "clean" your starter now too. Since you hammered it up , there might be little parts inside that'll eventually jam up the starter. Unattach the battery so you dont get sparks. Then remove the starter. Its attached with 2 bolts. Then you can open it up and pull the inside out. Inside you'll see a cilinder and some kind of "huge electrical razor" blades. Just clean them up, put them back together and attach them.
Once your car starts, test the alternator (put an electric reader on the wires that go towards your battery). It should read at least 12 volt. If it does, then there 's nothing wrong with your alternator.
So its probably just your battery.

Next time, like OndaGround said, do a complete diagnostic before changing and switching parts. Usually a problem can be reduced to one small part (in your case the battery).

I once tore my entire LPG installation apart , took me 2 hours, just to find out a small fuse was blown.