Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

It idled upside down until it quit.

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2018, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It idled upside down until it quit.

Hello folks, new here and would like to see what you guys think. I just ended up with a 2013 Impala 3.6 that was in a very light roll over due to icy conditions. the driver left the car idling upside down until the oil ran out and it locked up.
the motor will no longer turn over with starter or breaker bar. of course the obvious answer is its seized up... but how bad? could it be hydro-lock from oil in the cylinders, or the computer shut it down. I just got started diagnosing the problems so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old November 11th, 2018, 4:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by aurora5
Hello folks, new here and would like to see what you guys think. I just ended up with a 2013 Impala 3.6 that was in a very light roll over due to icy conditions. the driver left the car idling upside down until the oil ran out and it locked up.
the motor will no longer turn over with starter or breaker bar. of course the obvious answer is its seized up... but how bad? could it be hydro-lock from oil in the cylinders, or the computer shut it down. I just got started diagnosing the problems so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
i'd just find a good used motor, or a new one or long block, if you can afford it. I highly doubt that you can repair this motor. without spending too much money. Why spend your valuable time on something that is so damaged? My .02 cents.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; November 11th, 2018 at 4:08 AM.
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

+1
seized is seized...it needs a complete tear down.