Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Idler pulley bracket not covered in powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Idler pulley bracket not covered in powertrain warranty?

Hey Guys,

-Make - Chevy
-Model and Year Model - Colorado
-Drivetrain Layout (2WD, 4WD) - 2WD
-Engine Size - 4cyl
-Body Style (Step-side, 4-door, coupe, stuff like that) - WT Trim

So I was just driving home one night and I hear a big ole' thud under my hood and all of a sudden my power steering goes out, not too long after my engine starts to overheat... Belt busted was my first thought.

Fortunately I was about 100 yards away from my house so was able to get it home. I look under the hood the next morning and notice my idler pulley is just flat out gone. Feel back where it should be and I can feel the unfinished edge of the bracket, snapped right in half.

I order the new bracket from the dealership and go in to replace it, I then realize that one of the 3 bolts that attach the bracket to the block have broken off into the block. I put the new bracket on anyway hoping it may hold long enough for me to get it to the dealership. (I have no means to drill out the bolt) Well the bracket snapped in the exact same place as the origional bracket. I don't know if it was either because that bolt was not there to hold it, or maybe because when it initially broke it ate my belt up a little. Tore a strip off of the end.

Before boring you too much longer; I take the truck to the dealership. I was under the impression this would be covered by the GM 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The dealership and\or warranty company does not agree.

Has anyone else had this issue? That bracket should not just break in half, I know that much. What are the chances of my arguing with the dealership that I can get this covered. I'm not trying to pay $600 because the decided to throw this poorly designed bracket onto the truck. I wish I could find a picture of it online to show you guys. Any advise?
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Call Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020 and complain to them. Don't give up easily, keep after them especially if you are still under warranty. They might help. They helped me once and the second time they partially helped.
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks! I called and they couldn't do much.. He says the is no reference to the idler pulley bracket in the warranty info. Only the crank shaft pulley is all they could find. They gave me a number to a customer relations person at the dealership. I guess I will try and call them.

I just feel like this is got to be a faulty part out of production and they should freaking pay for it!