Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2008 Aveo P2135 code, covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2012, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Aveo P2135 code, covered by warranty?

Hi guys,

I have my chevy aveo which got the engine light turned on a couple of time with the P2135 code.
It is related to the throttle pedal position.
My car is a 2008 and has 60k miles. I still have the 5 years 100k mils warranty.

I called a dealer but he did not tell me if this was covered or not. All I know is that if it is covered, I don't pay anything, if not I have to pay 130 dollars for the inspection, then I'll have to pay for the repair (if I want to them to perform it)! really!

I've read on internet a lot of this problem, but I haven't found if this was covered or not.

Does anybody know?

Thanks,

Ben
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Here are the details of my car:
Chevrolet
Aveo LS 2008
2 FWD
1.6L
Sedan
60K miles
Old January 14th, 2012, 2:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> sheva7,

The powertrain warranty includes the following features for all 2007 and newer light duty vehicles for 5 year/100,000 miles, whichever occurs first:

In general, the powertrain warranty covers the engine, transmission, transfer case and axle assemblies on light duty vehicles as indicated below:

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses and radiators.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Transfer Case Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case (Slave cylinder, etc.) as well as encoder motor, transfer case control modules and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors.

The Drive Systems Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc.) as well as any transmission control module and/or module programming.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 14th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Louis.

But I think it still does not answer my question, because I don't see anything about throttle body assembly and its 2 throttle position (TP) sensors.

I think I will need the throttle body to be replaced because just cleaning the TPS does not erase the problem.

This what I have been reading online according to the many other users who had the problem on their aveo.

Can you (or anybody else) help me find out please?

thanks so much

Ben
Old January 16th, 2012, 3:36 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> sheva7,

I suggest you contact your dealer. They should be able to verify your eligibility after running your vehicle's VIN number.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Pontiac Wave 2008

So what you are saying Louis is that all the faulty sensors are not covered under the warranties which leaves GM owners responsible for the repairs which can cost a lot of money on an essentially new vehicle.
I started having problems with the engine light coming on and off for over a year, have had to put out money twice now to get the diagnostics checked. Each time requiring some repairs. I have also been maintaining the vehicle as per GM standards ieil, lube,filter,tune-up. Also issues with the balancing and wheel alignment on the car. Any small pot hole can cause the car to shift the alignment, also causing wear and tear more than the usual on the inside of the front end tires. Brakes have been done, the heater stopped working at low levels, always has to be at level 4 to get any heat. The car has died while I was driving it, had to pull over off the highway and wait a few seconds and re-start the car. The car has been having hesitation issues, loss of power, "jerking" while in motion and when shifting gears. Turning into traffic the car has completely lost power,RPM drop and forced to stop and re-start the car to get moving. This is a SERIOUS safety issue. I have contacted Transport Canada about this also. The engine light then permanently came on a few wks ago and while driving on what was supposed to be my holiday we again lost acceleration and had to stop in a town to then be towed back to where I bought the vehicle. They did the diagnostic again and a number of codes came back,Po113 IAt circuit high voltage, P0172 fuel trim rich, P1516 TAC mod position performance, P2106 Throttle control sys limitation active, P2110 throttle actuator control forced limit, P2135 TP 1-2 correlation. They cleared the DTC and charged me shop fee/labour and told me that if the light comes on again to bring it back right away because if they started going through all the codes listed it would cost me a small fortune! Also that none of this was covered under the warranty and could not even tell me what an estimate would be to repair. So I drove it home and a few hours later the light came on again. Instead of driving back to the dealer (45mins away) I took it to the mechanic that has before cleaned my throttle and he diagnosed it and the P2135 code came up which then tells him it is the Throttle Position sensor. So the part in question is not a common non-dealer part, so which means it has to be purchased from the dealer only and which leaves me questioning what guarantee do I have that this sensor will not be defective as well. Plus putting out more money $150.00 plus labour to in stall it. Please help me!
Old April 10th, 2012, 1:58 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Maryann Puliz,

Have you contacted Customer Service regarding these issues already? If so, could you please PM me your Service Request number (SR#), so I may review your case.

May I also ask for the name, state, city of the dealer you have had work done?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 10th, 2012, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

i read where a driver of an AVEO had similar stalling issues and they were related to having a lot of keys on the ring with her ignition key. Once she removed them, the problem went away. Yeah, it's bizarre and you should be able to have a few keys, but some folks have pretty heavy key rings with tons of stuff on them. Give it a try with just you house, remote and ignition key on it and see what happens.

Heather

Originally Posted by Maryann Puliz
So what you are saying Louis is that all the faulty sensors are not covered under the warranties which leaves GM owners responsible for the repairs which can cost a lot of money on an essentially new vehicle.
I started having problems with the engine light coming on and off for over a year, have had to put out money twice now to get the diagnostics checked. Each time requiring some repairs. I have also been maintaining the vehicle as per GM standards ieil, lube,filter,tune-up. Also issues with the balancing and wheel alignment on the car. Any small pot hole can cause the car to shift the alignment, also causing wear and tear more than the usual on the inside of the front end tires. Brakes have been done, the heater stopped working at low levels, always has to be at level 4 to get any heat. The car has died while I was driving it, had to pull over off the highway and wait a few seconds and re-start the car. The car has been having hesitation issues, loss of power, "jerking" while in motion and when shifting gears. Turning into traffic the car has completely lost power,RPM drop and forced to stop and re-start the car to get moving. This is a SERIOUS safety issue. I have contacted Transport Canada about this also. The engine light then permanently came on a few wks ago and while driving on what was supposed to be my holiday we again lost acceleration and had to stop in a town to then be towed back to where I bought the vehicle. They did the diagnostic again and a number of codes came back,Po113 IAt circuit high voltage, P0172 fuel trim rich, P1516 TAC mod position performance, P2106 Throttle control sys limitation active, P2110 throttle actuator control forced limit, P2135 TP 1-2 correlation. They cleared the DTC and charged me shop fee/labour and told me that if the light comes on again to bring it back right away because if they started going through all the codes listed it would cost me a small fortune! Also that none of this was covered under the warranty and could not even tell me what an estimate would be to repair. So I drove it home and a few hours later the light came on again. Instead of driving back to the dealer (45mins away) I took it to the mechanic that has before cleaned my throttle and he diagnosed it and the P2135 code came up which then tells him it is the Throttle Position sensor. So the part in question is not a common non-dealer part, so which means it has to be purchased from the dealer only and which leaves me questioning what guarantee do I have that this sensor will not be defective as well. Plus putting out more money $150.00 plus labour to in stall it. Please help me!