Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

I'm officially at my wits end!

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have it apart... yes I did the MFI conversion this weekend, also speaking with my neighbor a second ago whom came over to see the madness he remembered me commenting on double checking the mechanical timing months ago when I was installing the tone wheel i left on my core engine (oops).

Anyway, as far as the injectors swapped, I just did the conversion and set up all the corners the same, in accordance with the instructions, installing the 4 far corners first then looping the inside injectors over them and setting them in their homes. The seal on the metering block I lubed up with some fresh motor oil before installation... to ensure I had it up as far as it would go, being as gentle as I could I clamped some vice grips on the block where the connector is (the edges) and gently pryed from the intake manifold to the vice grips sucking the manifold down as far as it would go on the block. I have the intake back on and am just working on my general assembly from there. Ill update with propane results this evening if the work I did was in vain (as per the usual).

Also keep in mind I am not missing enough for any codes, I am not sure why just watching each cylinder count up im getting 5 and 7 and a 1 or 2 others way way less. One thing that I have not been able to do is do the CKP relearn procedure because it wont get up to temp, on the scantool this morning I saw the ECT reading was about 30 degrees less than my IAC reading (not having run the vehicle since last night) so I am assuming I have either a faulty ECT sensor or I have some resistance in my wiring making and its throwing off the senced voltage, I did get a couple ohms on my ground circuit but have not done a voltage drop test to verify my resistance is abnormal.

My sparkplugs were not terrible (I pulled two of them 1 and 7) both were white indicating lean-ness, again not terrible though.
Old June 15th, 2010, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another day wasted... I have successfully flushed my first (and probably only) 4 day weekend this year down the drain. I am a good example of why you DIAGNOSE things and not just replace things.

it did hit me though, in the deep deep depression i am slumming in about this van, I remembered that part of what killed the van the first time was after the head gaskets were replaced, it only went 1k miles +/- after the repair, of which the a/c was leaking (missing a gasket on the compressor), and the check engine light came on a couple days after the repair... the code you might be wondering was a "lean" code... I am just recalling a conversation I had with my mom like a year ago when this happened so I am assuming a P0171 or similar. I am going lean the computer is adding TONS of fuel, no codes will set BUT it is still lean. SO thats making me think that its something failed before hand.

maybe the maf sensor... Either way the van is gone for now, hopefully it will be out of sight out of mind and Ill be able to sleep... until we meet again.