Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2018, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel Lights

Howdy
I Have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 ,Crew Cab,( Base Model) 5.3L Z71 4X4 Front steering, Automatic, Does Not Have optional Rear heating and A/C. Single Fuel Tank,Have had a Multitude of Problems as it would appear Previous Owner( s ) did not do Basic Maintenance on this Truck! BUT, I Digress!, I have 2 Questions of this Very Kind , Thorough and Knowledgeable Group Please.

1.) Instrument Panel Lights goes off and on, Instruments still work all the Time, But Very Frustrating to drive at Night as they will come on and go off at intervals with no Ryhme or reason, Nothing to do with Bumps , and timing can vary also. Interestingly, when the Main Instrument Cluster Lights go out so do the Lights on the temperature Control Pnel on the dash, Maybe a feed Thru Circuit?I Took the Truck to the Chevy Dealer, of course when I took it the Lights had decided to work!!, the GM Tech Took the Instrument Cluster out, chased and checked all the wiring and grounds could find no problem at all!, after that ( about 3 weeks ago) until now it had worked, Of Course just drove out of state to North Carolina to see New Grandkid and Yeppie, after driving about an Hour, Lights went off and never came back on. So, talked to the guy at the Used truck lot where I bought the truck, he says that is a fairly common problem and has to do with "Cold Solder Joints"? etc. and recommended a Guy who redoes/ Resolders these Clusters. BUT, Here's my Question and I am including a Pic of my Instrument Cluster, I am thinking that I will just find a complete Cluster in a Recycling Yard and replace the darn thing!
What Years and Model's Chevrolet / GMC.. Main Instrument Panel Clusters are Plug and Play ?? I bet several Years/Models interchange? I am thinking I will simply replace the Main Instrument Cluster panel all at once and be done with this problem?

2.) I Found that the Front end ( Idler Arm, Pittman Arm, Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends etc.)of this truck has a TON of Zerks ( Grease Fittings) However, There are so darn many, its Hard to keep up with it, OBVIOUSLY, the previous Owners NEVER Greased the Fittings, Does anyone have a Pic that shows the standard Grease Fittings for my truck?? Does the Factory U Joints typically come with Grease Fittings also??

I am Very Grateful for any and all Help on these matters! I Hope to see email replies, ed.spangler68@gmail.com
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Panel Lights-silverado-instrument-panel.jpg