Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Intake Manifolds and Valve Cover Gaskets w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifolds and Valve Cover Gaskets w/ Pics

95 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7L TBI

Well this all started with a major oil leak I have right now. My intake manifold and valve covers are just covered in oil as you can see. Where I am at right now is I have everything taken off with the exception of the valve covers. I have grouped together a few questions I have before I begin to clean and reassemble.

1. I picked up Fel-Pro gaskets for my valve covers with a Perma-dry technology which means these gaskets must be installed dry without chemical adhesive. Anyone used these?

2. My egr port on my intake manifold was completely caked all the way across and wasn't even functioning. What is the most effective method to remove the carbon buildup?That stuff is rock hard. Picture included.

3. Because of all of the buildup the bolt hole threads are thrashed with gunk. Can someone explain to me cleaning the threads (i.e. "chasing" Taps vs Rethreaders vs thread chasers) Am I supposed to put something on these to catch debris? Which of the holes go all the way through? What size should I use?

4. What do you guys put on the intake manifold bolts and valve cover bolts before reinstall? (Oil, loctite, etc.?) I read a few things about china walls? Using certain RTV's on the front and rear and separate on china walls? Can someone clarify the type of RTV to use on intake manifold gasket.

I know these are a lot of questions so thanks for reading through. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Have a good day.
Attached Thumbnails Intake Manifolds and Valve Cover Gaskets w/ Pics-chevfor1.jpg   Intake Manifolds and Valve Cover Gaskets w/ Pics-chevfor2.jpg  
Old October 30th, 2012, 8:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean everything thoroughly and shop vac anything that might have fallen down into any passages.

Use Castrol Super Clean,wear glove,and carb cleaner to clean EGR ports.

Get a shop manual to help you through the reassembly process so you know torque specs,sealant applications etc.

good luck,that engine looks like it's been neglected for a long time.
Old October 30th, 2012, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I bought the truck a few months back after a move. It was pretty cheap and is a good project right now. I have a Haynes manual I have read thoroughly and done a bunch of research online.

Thanks for the idea on the EGR ports, I'll post pictures after I'm done with this.

In the Haynes manual it says to use a tap on the bolt holes to clean them. I heard this can be bad for the threads as a tap is meant to cut. Does anyone know which size tap to use?

Any ideas on which RTV to use on the intake manifold gasket?

Thanks again.