Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Just drove into a lake...

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just drove into a lake...

o I was being stupid one night, driving a little too fast on slippery grassy road, and as I went around a turn my truck decided to go straight and I ended up in the lake up to my windshield. I put my truck in 4 wheel drive and reversed almost all the way out of the lake, then my buddy pulled me out the rest of the way.

The truck runs fine at idle, and when it is driven without any strain. But I took it out on the highway and the throttle started jumping when I started to go up a hill at low RPMs or accelerate at a moderate pace. There is also something fishy going on in the drivetrain during this throttle jumping that jerks the truck, maybe just the jolt from the sudden change in engine speed.

I checked the air filter later and there were light mud stains in the bottom of the plastic housing but the top of the air filter was clean (everything dry now). I am due for an oil change, so will definitely do that ASAP.

Anything you recommend I also do? Thanks!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z-71 5.3L Vortec V8 4WD Automatic
Old November 30th, 2009, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Clean and dry your MAF plate thoroughly.

Check to be certain you don't have any water laying in your intake, getting sucked in on hard accelerations. There's a little pint-sized air plenum between your MAF sensor and your intake which may have filled with water, that's letting just a splash of water by and causing you grief.

Also check under your intake manifold well where your antiknock sensors are,to be sure it's dry.

"Well, we had to stop,
and take off the top,
and air it all out, and clean it all up..."