Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

K2500 Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2020, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K2500 Steering Issue

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the group. I bought a 2000 K2500 w/ 104,000 miles on it about 30 day ago. It had been set up to plow just last winter, so when I test drove it, the plow was on. According to the seller, it was only plowed with a handful of times. I knew I was going to have to put a few things into it but really a great truck both mileage and condition. I didn't pick up on anything terrible with the plow on and drove really well I thought. Got the truck home and pulled the plow and mount - a couple days later it became my everyday driver. Steering was very easy(too easy) and wandered down the road a little up to 45mph. After the 1st week, I got it in for new tires (Wrangler DuraTracs), alignment, balance etc. At that time the tire place recommended a new Pittman Arm and Idler Arm. Along with shocks. Shocks were a given and had planned to do shortly.

At this point my main symptoms were the truck wandering sensation going down the road,my steering wheel was more like 8 & 2, not 9 & 3, over steering and correcting, and the rear end never felt like it was following the front end. Fast forward I put on new shocks, Pittman and Idler and also replaced the steering stabilizer. With that the truck feels about 95% improved. But I still have subtle moments like the symptoms above still linger. I think what I'm picking up on now is almost a feeling of my tires not really returning to zero position efficiently and like I'm doing too much steering. Hope that makes sense.

Any thoughts on the issue I might be overlooking?

Last edited by 4girlDaddy; July 29th, 2020 at 1:05 PM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 5:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2000 C2500 has (not sure what it is really called) speed sensitive steering. The is a plug/connector on the back of the power steering pump that controls the valving of the pump according to speed, lower speed more pressure, higher speed less. They seem to drive a bit different that plain old fashion power steering. Look and see if you have the connector on the back of the pump, if you do give a try of just settling down a bit with your steering and give it a little time getting used to it. I don't even notice it anymore on mine. I'm pretty sure that you can disconnect it and the valving will stay the same and be like old fashion power steering.
The following users liked this post:
4girlDaddy (July 30th, 2020)
Old July 30th, 2020, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks Little Bear. I had zero idea that this was a thing. It does make perfect sense to me now based on what I was experiencing prior to the work and now after. Before the work was done high speeds were nerve wracking with the looser steering and suspension. Now that those have been addressed high speed feels great. It's really in the 35 to 50 mph range where I feel like I'm constantly steering