Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Key Fob Programming on Newer Models

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2016, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Key Fob Programming on Newer Models

Hi all,

I just bought a new 2016 Camaro last week and long story short, the dealer misplaced one of the car's two key fobs. The key fob was missing for about 5 days, at which point I was told that my key was ready for pickup. Here is where the story gets a bit convoluted: I'd heard from other Chevy owners that in order for a replacement to be programmed my key and car would need to be present for the programming. However, the key given to me worked as soon as I tried it without anyone going anywhere near my car. Yet the manager who handed me said key told me that it was a replacement.

In addition, I spoke with the dealership's service manager yesterday and he told me that there is no way to reprogram a key without my car present when this is done. So now it seems like there was a communication error among the dealership personnel and the key given to me may have been my original key after all.

Anyone ever had to replace a key fob or have more detail on the mechanics behind this process? Ultimately I'd like to know if there is any way that a replacement key can be programmed without the car or the other key being present. Thanks, all!
Old January 19th, 2016, 8:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if its a switch blade key and fob unit. the key can only be programmed by a dealer with the car present. furthermore, the key itself is laser cut and requires a $10 000 piece of equipment to cut the pattern.
Old January 20th, 2016, 2:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if its a switch blade key and fob unit. the key can only be programmed by a dealer with the car present. furthermore, the key itself is laser cut and requires a $10 000 piece of equipment to cut the pattern.
Thank you for your response, tech2! I'm still struggling to comprehend how the person who handed over the key got the facts so wrong. =/ He told me it was a replacement and yet when I tried it on my car upon arrival it was fully functional.
Old January 20th, 2016, 3:40 AM
CF Beginner

If it was a car salesman or his manager who handed you the key, well, they're not mechanics. I wouldn't expect them to know this type of information or relay the information correctly from a mechanic.

A replacement key could simply mean a spare that was programmed at the same time the original was.