Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

leaf spring help

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaf spring help

I just heard a noise in the rear of my 2001 pick up 1/2 ton step side .4x4.Ilooked under and found my pass side rear leaf spring Has broken off athe rear.Tbracket were it is attatched is ruted and broken The remainder of the braket is still attatched to the spring via the bushing bolt .The rest of the bracket is still bolted to the frame close to the rear bumper.Can somone give me an idea of the part number i wold need to order another one Also is there an internet site that would be able to order one.Thank you Tony
Old February 20th, 2012, 7:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't give you an exact part number but if your shackle just broke you can find them on pretty much any auto parts/off road website
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Tony welcome to the Forum

You could probably get out a lot cheaper, if you were just to lift your truck and pull that leaf out if you can have it down for a couple days.
Then take the parts to a Spring Shop, and have a new leaf bent up for you. They'll replace the alignment clamps too.

I'll say this...
It's probably a good idea to do both sides, given that the same problems are going to be lingering on the other side as well. There are lots of Shops which will rebuild Springs, you could pull both, take um in, and just let them get um in good shape for you.

Last edited by SWHouston; February 21st, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old February 21st, 2012, 1:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Leaf Spring: Repair - Load Customization - Appearance

Leaf Spring: Repair - Load Customization - Appearance

Few realize just how handy/valuable, having a good Spring Shop in your community is. They can do just about anything you want, from just a simple rebuild, to customizing the loading ability of springs, and I’ve see where they have Plated the components, for rust protection and even Chrome Plating for vehicles like Show Rods. They perform basically three general applications.

<O</OGeneral Repair and Reconditioning:<O</O
Fatigue and corrosion, are the most common reasons for needing repair. These Shops have specifications on most all Vehicles, and can replace, re-arc or re-temper a Leaf/Spring Set, back to its original capacity/configuration. With the insertion/application of Friction Reducing Materials between the Leaves, alter the “ride” of a Spring Set to your specifications (firm or soft).

<O</OLoad Capacity:<O</O
This feature is really the “forte” of a good Shop. Where through permanent or progressive resistance, can adjust the Load Capacity of a set of Springs for any application, while still maintaining an unloaded soft/more comfortable ride.

<O</OTorque Control:<O</O
Many Heavy Haulers and those Vehicles set up for Quarter Mile (Drag Strip) applications, have sudden and extreme loads placed on them, with the application of high Horsepower and sudden severe torque. Specially configured spring sets can be made, or components added to your existing Spring Set, where those type loads can be controlled, protecting the Load carrying components from damage.

<O</OA good Shop can do wonders for your ride, and appear to be Magicians !