Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Leaking oil from intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2011, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking oil from intake manifold

It has now been 1 year and 3 months since I replaced the seal on my intake manifold, because it was leaking coolant. About 5 months ago it started leaking oil badly (1 and a 1/2 to 1 quart a week). At first I thought it was the oil pressure sensor, but it isn't because I replaced it 3 times. I thought it might have been my rear main seal, but then but both transmission places I took it to said it wasn't. The first place told me they didn't know where it was coming from, but it's not the rear main seal, and the other place hosed down the entire underneath of the car, and the started it on the lift and they said it was coming from the intake manifold, and that i might also want to put a distributor gasket on (which i did, and it still leaked).

When I replaced the manifold 1 year and 3 months I torqued the bolts to 30 ft lbs like the book said, and put RTV on the front and rear of the engine, and on both side of the gaskets.

Why is it leaking now? Would re-torquing them stop it or slow the leak significantly?

92 Buick Roadmaster 5.7 TBI Sbc
Old October 20th, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has your oil started to get greyish and slimey? If that is the case, then your leak has compromised your lubrication system and could cause some internal damage. Do you know how long your engine has been leaking coolant? Two weeks likely won't harm you engine severely (or at all), but I would keep my driving to a minimum just to be safe. They will (or should) change your oil when they do your manifold/water pump work.
EV

Last edited by Alem; October 22nd, 2011 at 2:57 AM.