Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Losing Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2019, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Engine Oil

Hey guys, for a while now when I go check my oil levels, it’s low, I add however much oil I need and then the following week or weeks it’ll be low again, there isn’t any oil spots where I park my truck, so I got to looking closely and found that there is oil on both valve covers, maybe coming out of the bolts on top of the valve cover? Is there a seal for each bolt? I’ll post some pics of my findings, if I order some parts from the dealer today, I’ll get them Saturday, I need help on this because I have a trip coming up and want to get this cleared up, thanks. I drive a 2011 Silverado, 4.3 Vortec,
extended cab, 2WD.

Last edited by Rubenc; January 18th, 2019 at 1:48 PM.
Old January 18th, 2019, 11:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubenc
Hey guys, for a while now when I go check my oil levels, it’s low, I add however much oil I need and then the following week or weeks it’ll be low again, there isn’t any oil spots where I park my truck, so I got to looking closely and found that there is oil on both valve covers, maybe coming out of the bolts on top of the valve cover? Is there a seal for each bolt? I’ll post some pics of my findings, if I order some parts from the dealer today, I’ll get them Saturday, I need help on this because I have a trip coming up and want to get this cleared up, thanks. I drive a 2011 Silverado, 4.3 Vortec,
extended cab, 2WD.
Could be your valve seals need replacement.
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 205 Likes on 179 Posts

Visible oil on the covers w/o a more obvious puddling leak suggests you are dealing with an oil consumption problem, not a leak.
Old January 25th, 2019, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubenc
extended cab, 2WD. Here is a quick guide on smoke exhaust diagnosis click here
It seems that you are loosing quite a bit of oil. If there are no traces of oil under a parked car, this probably means that the engine is burning it.
You should check if there is blue or gray smoke from the exhaust in several conditions:
- when you start your car from cold
- when you accelerate during drive
- when you decelerate while moving down-hill
- when you press the throttle after idling for several minutes

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mikeross1209; January 25th, 2019 at 2:04 AM.