Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Low Idle Issues - Optra

Old July 23rd, 2013, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Low Idle Issues - Optra

Hey All, I tried to find an Optra specific thread but didn't see one.

I bought a 2005 Chevy Optra (FWD, Sport Wagon, 2.0L 4cyl) used about half a year ago from a private sale, with about 135,000km (84,000 miles) on it.

The issue I am having is that, once the car has warmed up, the idle sits very low when I am in gear and stopped, for example, at a red light. She drives like a dream when just travelling, but since I live in a large city there is a lot of stop-and-go on my daily commute so it makes the low idle more obvious. The idle is comfortable when at about 1000RPM, but once the car is warmed up it sits around 750-800RPM when I am stopped and in gear, and it really rattles the car.

Add'l notes/things I have tried:

- The rattle reduces when I shift the car from drive into neutral, but there is no change in the reading on the RPM guage

- I notice the rattle/RPM get worse when I do anything that takes power (roll up/down my windows, use my windshield wipers)

- I have cleaned the MAF sensor already, and it did not make a difference.

- There are no check engine lights up, so it is not throwing any codes

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Former Sponsor