Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lubricants for door locks, hinges, latches, etc.

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 11:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lubricants for door locks, hinges, latches, etc.

What lubricants are best for things like door locks, sliding door rollers, latches and electrical connections? I've heard that WD40 gums up the works and shouldn't be used. Is that true? I also have Jig-A-Loo and Fluid Film lying around. Are any of them any good for Chevy vehicles, or should I buy something else?

Thanks,
Inari
Old January 29th, 2019, 11:36 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure many have ideas.

What I have found that works for me is a graphite-based lubricant with solvent based carrier that evaporates, and leaves the graphite in place, .like this:

https://hardwareonlinestore.com/inde...iABEgIXSfD_BwE

Home Depot is one of the few places that I have been able to find it. Wear gloves. The stuff stains anything it comes in contact with.

I don't know about use on electrical connections. The stuff is as flammable as hair spray. Graphite pencils weren't used in the NASA program because graphite could / would have contributed to a fire risk.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; January 29th, 2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: edited hyperlink
Old January 30th, 2019, 3:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

astroglide
Old January 30th, 2019, 2:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Just kidding. Horses for courses.
Use whatever oil you have for the hinges. (3-in-1 etc.) It does not matter! I've used cooking oil from the kitchen.

However, WD40 is not good for hinges. Too thin. It's ok for locks.

They make corrosion resistant silicone sealants specifically for electrical connections (also called "dielectric grease").

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 30th, 2019 at 7:09 PM.
Old January 30th, 2019, 6:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Inari
What lubricants are best for things like door locks, sliding door rollers, latches and electrical connections? I've heard that WD40 gums up the works and shouldn't be used. Is that true? I also have Jig-A-Loo and Fluid Film lying around. Are any of them any good for Chevy vehicles, or should I buy something else?

Thanks,
Inari
Lithium grease works well on dooor latch and door hinges. WD-40 is ok to use in locks at very cold temps, but there are are many others.