Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

The Malaysian Impala

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink The Malaysian Impala

Take a look at this sweet Malaysian Impala. Now you just gotta watch out for stuck throttle and brakes that dont brake .
Attached Thumbnails The Malaysian Impala-3001466026.jpg   The Malaysian Impala-3006025682.jpg   The Malaysian Impala-3069652578.jpg   The Malaysian Impala-3033875467.jpg  
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi sgp7679,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I recall a throttle like the one you're describing, all metal,rods, and connecting joints, as I recall, there was a transmission kick-down rod for the passing gear coming from the same carburetor linkage, and when these two rods get stuck, just shut her down at the ignition key, or blow the engine.

I'll bet there is a service bulletin on that throttle for your Y/M/M, if you google it.

As to the brakes, given the car is technically an antique,(albeit a popular one) you may want to rebuild the (14" all drum? IF I recall) entire system at the wheel. Hoses, bearings, cylinders, the works.
Old August 11th, 2010, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi sgp7679,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I recall a throttle like the one you're describing, all metal,rods, and connecting joints, as I recall, there was a transmission kick-down rod for the passing gear coming from the same carburetor linkage, and when these two rods get stuck, just shut her down at the ignition key, or blow the engine.

I'll bet there is a service bulletin on that throttle for your Y/M/M, if you google it.

As to the brakes, given the car is technically an antique,(albeit a popular one) you may want to rebuild the (14" all drum? IF I recall) entire system at the wheel. Hoses, bearings, cylinders, the works.
Thanks but this is not my car, just found the pic online, and when I said stuck throttle and brakes not braking, I was referring to the fact the impala has a toyota engine in it, recalls?? I think its horrible they put a toyota in the ol' car.
Old August 12th, 2010, 9:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah well, to add to the hilarity, it turns out that the Chevy you show had a throttle which also tended to get stuck;(of course, you could just turn off the ignition back in the 60s, and save yourself, before geniuses started installing computers in cars) also the all manual, all drum brakes were, to be kind, less than confidence-inspiring.

Let's give the devil his due here, in Malaysia it's probably herds easier to get Japanese car parts than Chevy small blocks and sixes.

Last edited by therewolf; August 12th, 2010 at 9:08 AM.