Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Malibu shuts off after a period of time

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu shuts off after a period of time

2002 chevy malibu ls, 122,000 miles
First time this has happened was last night. Driving down the road and my car just shuts off. I assume I'm probably going to have to call for a tow after trying to start it immediately after. It seemed like it wanted to catch when I turned if over but didn't. I waited about 10 min and tried it again and it started right up like nothing was wrong. Happened again about 6 times while travelling to my destination. It even dies when I let it sit idle for a length of time but it has a quicker recovery time when it dies while idling vs when it dies while driving. There were a couple times I gave it gas and it lost power and I had to let off the gas to correct it and baby the accelerator which made me think it was a fuel issue. But a few other times it just died like I turned the car off. Which made me think I had an electrical issue. Any ideas?
Old April 2nd, 2017, 2:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it giving you a engine light?
Old April 2nd, 2017, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it doesn't show any engine lights Kevin, also, I just changed the spark plugs and wires and still the same issue

*update*
Fuel filter is changed as well. Tried running the car again and it died on idle. So I started it back up and it went a bit longer. Dies again, now it's having a hard time so I try giving it gas as it catches and it runs for a few min longer. So after the last time it died, I gave it gas when it sounded like it wanted to Catch again and it started bucking like crazy I heard popping noises(nothing physical sounding) but it was weird. Now I'm thinking it is the timing belt???

Last edited by Sgc622; April 2nd, 2017 at 10:27 PM.