Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Methanol fuel use in flex fuel engine

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2017, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Methanol fuel use in flex fuel engine

I would hope that this question is of the general tech type. I have a flex/fuel system in my vehicle. And, lately, my gas gauge has been not reading as full when I get a fill up at the gas station. I have rarely used ethanol/Corn fuel to run my engine. But, I am wondering if using the E-85 would cause a saturation problem with the float in my gas tank. Anyone else on here had such an experience or know if E-85 will cause the fuel gauge to read erratically from time to time. Or, sink a bit just enough to give a false reading when the tank is actually full?

Last edited by Yogi; December 8th, 2017 at 9:16 PM. Reason: Heading won't edit, but I meant it to tread Ethanol E-85
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

doubt it. if you remove the sending unit...there is usually black gunk on the potentiometer of the sending unit. happens to flex fuel and non flex fuel vehicles.