Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Monte Carlo is not starting

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2016, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte Carlo is not starting

Hi there, my is Troy and I'm a newbie to the Chevy forums. I'm a proud owner of a 1970 Monte Carlo with a sb 350 crate motor. Haven't driven this car too often in the past(owned it for 8 years now)but as of lately it has been my daily driver. Been driving it for the past two months and got in it one morning to go to work and it would not start. It has a semi new battery, starter, and alternator. Distributor is fairly new also. It cranks but will not start. Today I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Still wouldn't start. Used an in-line spark checker to check all 8 wires and got no sign of spark in any of them. So I replaced the coil with a brand new one today also(HEI system) Still wouldn't start. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I do do a lot of work on my car myself since I've owned it just to save money and to learn how to do it myself...with that being said...I'm stuck at a stand still and not sure what to do next. Any answers or advice to my dilema would greatly be appreciated. Thank you all in advance and Happy New Year😃

Last edited by 70MonteMan; January 3rd, 2016 at 9:00 PM.
Old January 4th, 2016, 3:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Got 12 volts to the Dist power lead? If so, you`ve already replaced everything but the module and the pick-up coil. Doubt it`d be the reluctor. Look on you-tube how to check them.
Old January 4th, 2016, 6:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the systems are easy to check with a test light.

as was previously posted;
key on engine off
test for power to the positive side of the ignintion coil. this should light the test light at all times with the key in run.

if that is ok, move the test light to the grd side of the coil. have someone crank the engine over. the test light should blink on and off. if it doesn't the coil is not being grded by the module. replace the ign module or a wire to the module is open.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you Richard Till and tech2 for your quick response to my situation. I will definitely take your suggestions and I will post my update as soon as I get home from work and I'm able to do so. Thanks very much again for your help.