Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

MyLink Infotainment System 2.0/IO5 – Random Behavior

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2023, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyLink Infotainment System 2.0/IO5 – Random Behavior

There have been a lot of threads in a lot of places on this. Thought I would start a new thread with additional questions and observations. Vehicle is 2018 Suburban LT, 4wd, 5.8 Flex, Non-Nav, SiriusXM enabled, Latest MyLink software, version 84364939, 61,000 miles. Like many others have reported, the MyLink randomly will not respond to touch selections and/or makes random selections on its own. Each random selection is accompanied by the low vol “beep” as if were being touched. Many have reported that replacing the digitizer screen (located in front of the display screen within the ICS is the fix. I’m aware of a TSB 17-NA-404 of Dec 2017 concerning random non-user input of IO5/IO6 in the 2018 Traverse. (Why there is no TSB or Recall on all GM models with IO5/6 is shameful.) Although occurrences in my vehicle seem random, I have noted several trends which have to make me wonder if it is more than the digitizer in the ICS going bad.

I have noticed that if backed into driveway and if I allow the MyLink time to boot up (from unlock/open door/splash screen/start engine/put seatbelt on/then in “Drive”) there is miniscule probability of failure. If I rush the selection to Drive, there is about 30% failure rate. If I have pulled into the driveway and have to select “Reverse” there is a 50% to almost 90% likelihood of failure. If the MyLink is working fine, but I make a quick stop and restart, there is at least a 50% failure rate on that restart. If Android Auto is plugged in there is at least a 70% failure probability.

All other things being equal, if it starts out working fine, it will work fine for the entire drive, unless I stop somewhere or plug in Android Auto, then all bets are off.

All other things being equal, if it starts out not working, it will not work for the entire drive, but if I stop, reboot, and take my time, there is a high probability it will work fine from there on out.

So – First, I am curious as to whether anyone else has seen any trends such as I have described, and if so, what? Second, if the digitizer touch screen is the issue, why does it not fail all the time? Why would re-booting seem to make it work fine for the remainder of a drive (for that instance), and conversely if it is failed, why does it not at times self-correct without a re-boot.

Trying to make sense of all this before I replace (or have replaced) the ICS screen. It seems to me there has to be a programming issue somewhere, but I would like to hear any success stories of replacing the ICS digitizer, and/or any other successes from other fixes. (Probably the last GM product I will have. Maddening and distracting while driving.) Any/all thoughts on this most welcome.