Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Frozen Touch Screen on my 2018 Traverse

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2018, 2:23 PM
Newly Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Frozen Touch Screen on my 2018 Traverse

Just bought a new 2018 Traverse High Country 2 weeks ago. On two separate occasions, the Infotainment Touch Screen froze for long periods of time. Turning off the system or even restarting the car didn't work. After about 30 minutes to an hour, it would come back on it's own. On a recent weekend get-away, it froze on our highway trip on the Home Page. My son tried to get the system to work by pressing any and all application buttons, swipping, dragging, pressing. Nothing worked for almost 45 minutes. Any ideas?
The following 2 users liked this post by nyweisf:
Bridge A (March 30th, 2020), Kay Gauthier (March 26th, 2021)
Old March 10th, 2018, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem also but my screen will also click on random things and scroll when no one is touching it, then get frozen at times. I’m being it to the dealer this week. This is very disappointing.
The following users liked this post:
Bridge A (March 30th, 2020)
Old March 30th, 2018, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers
I am having the same problem also but my screen will also click on random things and scroll when no one is touching it, then get frozen at times. I’m being it to the dealer this week. This is very disappointing.
My husband is planning to buy an 18 Traverse--
have either of you gotten an explanation for why this happened?
was it repaired?
Old June 3rd, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Most people report that pushing the Voice command button next to the OnStar button has reset the console. In my case it took a few cold starts of the Traverse to get the display back. Definitely a software bug and one that dates back several years and not uncommon with GM vehicles with their infotainment system.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issue. Usually it just starts randomly pushing buttons on its own and won’t let me change anything myself. I joke that the car is haunted. I have to shut the screen down because it makes phone calls and such while it’s doing this. This has been going on since I drove it off the lot in Late February. Had it in the dealer once but it wasn’t acting up at that moment so they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Very frustrating. It happening more frequently now when it’s been parked and the interior heats up. Not sure if that is just a coincidence or not. Ugh.
Old October 5th, 2018, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue in my 2012 and it seems to have been caused by my external music player. I had a high volume iPod attached through the USB port and it had about 6500 songs. I deleted about 2000 and my display has not frozen for over a week where it was doing it about every other time I started the vehicle.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Radio Problems

I too bought a brand new 2018 Chevy Traverse every summer the radio goes on the blink, randomly pushing buttons, calling people, calling OnStar over and over. Completely inoperable so I have to turn it off. I discovered that it only happens when it's hot outside. I never had problems during the Winter but as soon as summer hit, it started again. Finally started video taping it as proof for the dealer. They found a bulletin on the issue from GM and replaced the radio for me.
Old August 18th, 2021, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same

I have 2019 Equinox. I went through everything. I took it in to dealership and of course it's past warranty but all it needs is a "update". Did that. Problems came back. Did everything again. Called dealership to do more drastic measures....tear apart and/or replace....on my dime. Finally read this somewhere.....leave fob in car for a while when parked and off. Should force a reset.....well, hot damn.....its working. Let's see for how long....Why would I have to do this though?
Old April 26th, 2022, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Radio malfunctions due to heat

I am having the exact same issue. Ask the dealer and they cannot find a bulletin on the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for posting this

Originally Posted by Lhodges2
I too bought a brand new 2018 Chevy Traverse every summer the radio goes on the blink, randomly pushing buttons, calling people, calling OnStar over and over. Completely inoperable so I have to turn it off. I discovered that it only happens when it's hot outside. I never had problems during the Winter but as soon as summer hit, it started again. Finally started video taping it as proof for the dealer. They found a bulletin on the issue from GM and replaced the radio for me.