Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Name That Part

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name That Part

I'm working my way thru the electrical system cleaning grounds, light sockets, replacing corroded connections, trying to fix a ground fault in the system that is apparently somewhere between the drivers headlight and turn signal. At least, that's where I see the effects. No luck so far but I have a few more to do still. In the mean time, I am trying to identify a part so I can replace it, I'll post a pic at the end.
Its a small circuit board, about 2 x 11/2 inches. It comes off of the rear lighting wire bundle. It's mounted on the outside of the truck, beside the brake and back up lights.
This is on a 1984 Chevy G30 box truck. Any help identifying this part will be appreciated, as I cant replace it until I can name it.
Thanks,
Chuck
1984 Chevy G30 Box truck
Old October 24th, 2018, 7:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do the wires go ,that were hooked to it?
Old October 25th, 2018, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

they went to the rear light wiring bundle. Not sure if it was powered by the brakes, turn signal or back up lights.
Old October 25th, 2018, 7:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Could be a backup alarm. Take the wires that were connected to it and check when there is voltage there. If there is voltage when it is in reverse then it is a backup alarm.
Old October 25th, 2018, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, good answer Old Chevy. I'll try that, thanks.
But if there is a beeper unit somewhere it is well hidden!