Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need advice...Thaks!!!

Old February 10th, 2010, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice...Thaks!!!

Hey everybody I have a 1974 Chevy 350 4 bolt main short block. I'm going to make a 355 screamer out of her. I'm wanting to get at least 425 h.p. and as much torque as possible. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. This is my baby and want the best for her lol. So please help me! lol Don't know where to start.
Old February 10th, 2010, 3:44 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved your post to this section for more exposure, the New Member area is for saying hello.
Welcome to the forum and someone will give you some good ideas.
Old February 10th, 2010, 5:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well, well, well. where to start. with todays parts and technology, it's so easy to make awesome power. but, the key is doing it all right. and patience. first thing to do is to drop block off at machine shop for cleaning and inspection. this is a must for reliable build. shops can tell ya if something is wrong. it'll cost a bit, but better than havin motor crap out cause you cheaped out.
what we don't know is, how is this motor gonna be used? as a 1/4 mile'r, daily driver, weekend warrior. a good all around motor is easy enough, but some want, as you say, an all out "screamer". gimme a little more on what you're thinkin is as far as what you want. constant high rev's, low-mid torque for launches, or towing? fairly quiet sleeper? the ideas are nearly endless. also, be prepared to drop a few shiny dimes. reliability doesn't come cheap.
Old February 10th, 2010, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default please help

high rpm's and awsome torque is what i want
Old February 10th, 2010, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Launching and i guess you could say towing lol... more like a demolition derby motor...
Old February 10th, 2010, 8:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. you can bore the block, not necessary tho, unless shop determines it needs it. flat top pistons, rv cam (268 is pretty good) 1.94 head, maybe if your budget allows, the "vortec" heads are pretty good out of the box (i believe they still make them for the old blocks, check with local gm parts) true double roller timing chain, aluminum intake (the edelbrock air gap is good) good carb, which despite all the rumors, the quadrajet is one of the best WHEN PROPERLY TUNED. external coil HEI dist, the coil in cap HEI tends to top out at about 4500rpm, unless you have someone tune it with different advance springs, coil. quality, low resistance plug wires, i've always had great performance with Taylor brand, plugs gapped .03 over spec.

this is general info, more detail can be had from myself and others here, or from performance shops in your area. hope this helps, gives ya an idea or three. keep in mind, to build a motor right isn't "cheap" but not really expensive either. also, just cause it has a big name on it, doesn't necessarily mean it is top quality. ask questions, talk to people. good luck.