Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need Help With Camaro - No Clue What The Problem Could Be

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need Help With Camaro - No Clue What The Problem Could Be

It's a 1991 Camaro RS 3.1

Here's a list of the problems wrong with it. Every one I ask so far says they're certain it's the fuel pump, so I wanted to see what people online think.

- If it has been off for a while, it's hard to start. It takes quite a few tries and it will crank but it just won't start. After a few minutes of trying to start it, it'll start.

- In town it will just die while driving.. yep. The car just shuts off, the steerling locks up and just dies.. it's only done this to me in-town so far thank god.

- It also feels like it has trouble when at red lights or stops. It kind of kicks a little bit when trying to push into a new gear.

Does anyone know what the problem even could be? Is it the fuel pump or something worse?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have the fuel pressure checked. change the fuel filter first. quite often a good pump is blamed when it's just a clogged filter. also, when was last tune up? service engine light on? if so, what are the codes?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by maxxman04
have the fuel pressure checked. change the fuel filter first. quite often a good pump is blamed when it's just a clogged filter. also, when was last tune up? service engine light on? if so, what are the codes?
The last tune up had to be a little while ago and yes the service engine light is on, but I haven't taken it to the dealership in town to find out exactly what codes they are.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Have your car checked out first, just to see what the SEL is on for. After that (depending on what it is) you want to check fuel and spark. Get a fuel pressure gauge and check your pressure. A quick, easy way to make sure you are getting good spark and your engine is running well is spray a bunch of starter fluid down your intake... start the car. If it doesn't hesitate and runs like a champ for a few seconds I'd definitely start considering fuel as the source of your problem.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi coreygeer,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Part of the question may involve stale gas. Have you changed your gas filter yet? How much gas was in the vehicle when you started having this problem?
If possible, it would probably be a good idea to fill your tank with fresh gas to help dilute the gas that's been sitting in the tank for awhile.

Hey, Premium Blend, didn't you have a problem with a fuel pump which involved a scorched plug module near to your fuel pump? Wouldn't hurt to check the wiring going to the fuel pump.